Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWW video v. movie segment

From: certainly clickot <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 18:43:53 EDT
Subject: Re: TWW video v. movie segment

Derek Langsford sez:
> Fox TV San Diego broadcast _She's Having a Baby_ last night and by coincidence
> I watched my _TSW - the videos_ the previous evening.  I wanted to make a few
> comments.

> Did Kate write it after seeing the scene?  Or, did they tell Kate about the
> scene and then construct the visuals after getting the song?  Anyone?

my guess is that KaTe wrote it after seeing that segment since, as
you say, the songs meshes so well (or will say below that is).

> Even though the movie is not worthy of Oscardom it is not a waste of time.
> And the climax of Kate singing during the anguish of a birth with
> complications after us having focused on the couple for an hour or so is quite
> emotional.  It took my breath away at the cinema.  The song makes me teary
> anytime I hear it.

confession time: lots of songs have made me cry, but this is the
*first* video to have ever done so...

> In comparison the video uses a similar story line but one isn't as involved
> with the characters so it lacks the context of the movie segment which more
> literally illustrates the sentiments of the song.

ah, but that is what makes a difference between a song and a movie.
the song is so much more personal since it is more ambiguous - *you*
have to fill in the details as it isn't done for you by some hollywood
director. i think i can say that each and everyone of us has some
images that we associate with any song - and they are always going to
be different from anyone else's cos of each of our's unique experiences
in life. that makes a song "ours" (how many of you have songs that you
share with a loved one or a group of friends?) even though we didn't
write it.

in the video, KaTe has to retain that ambiguity - since in it's truest
form (imho), a video is a reflection of the song (although most video
artists and directors and pop stars these days would disagree with me).
that's what's so nice about KaTe's ealiest video work - it's simple,
but demanding since you have to think about what she's doing. while the
*production* of her videos has become more complex, the reflection that
the video is of the song hasn't. the video for this woman's work needs
you the viewer to add in the details so that you can make the song your
own (and the video as well!).

the song works wonderfully with the movie - it blew me away just like
it did you. but, the movie is someone else's interpretation (one could
even say that the song is KaTe's interpretation of the movie i suppose).
for me, the video is much better since *i* have to think a little and
flesh out the details that KaTe leaves unwritten.

woj