Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWW video v. movie segment

From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 14:42:21 PDT
Subject: TWW video v. movie segment

Fox TV San Diego broadcast _She's Having a Baby_ last night and by coincidence
I watched my _TSW - the videos_ the previous evening.  I wanted to make a few
comments.

I believe the song has a greater impact in the film than on the video.  The
song is incredible without visuals anyway but it fits so well in the movie.
Did Kate write it after seeing the scene?  Or, did they tell Kate about the
scene and then construct the visuals after getting the song?  Anyone?

Even though the movie is not worthy of Oscardom it is not a waste of time.
And the climax of Kate singing during the anguish of a birth with
complications after us having focused on the couple for an hour or so is quite
emotional.  It took my breath away at the cinema.  The song makes me teary
anytime I hear it.

In comparison the video uses a similar story line but one isn't as involved
with the characters so it lacks the context of the movie segment which more
literally illustrates the sentiments of the song.  A lot of images from sets
are rushed past us in the video making it seem quite busy compared with the
flow of the movie segment which flashes back to more realistic and less
dramatic situations. Undeniably the flow of the dinner/car/hospital segment in
the video is very clever but I would have to say I prefer the movie clip in
the end.

Just a few observations. Anyone care to agree/disagree?

Derek Langsford                 | "It could take me all my life,
Polperro->Edinburgh->San Diego  |  or it could only take a moment..."
derek@sunstroke.sdsu.edu        |                  Kate Bush, Love & Anger