Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Vickie's playlist (Nena)

From: Steve Wallis <stevew@mushroom.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 14:40:45 BST
Subject: Re: Vickie's playlist (Nena)

mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>>                         Suspended In Gaffa 119
>>                          Playlist for 6-23-90
>>
>>     * Artist *                             * Song *
>> [...]
>> 13. Nena                                   99 Luftballoons
>> [...]
>> 15. Nena                                   99 Red Balloons
>
>Not really L-H/Gaffa mainstream stuff, but since it *was* in a Vickie's
>Playlist...
>
>Whatever *did* become of Nena, anyway?  She & the band were the prototypical
>one-hit wonder of 1984 (?) or so, at least in the U.S., and were never
>heard from again.  Rumours of Nena (Koerner's) death have made the
>rounds ever since, and I have heard & seen posted various causes
>including (1) drowning, (2) sailboat accident, (3) auto accident, and
>(4) AIDS.
>
>Can anyone shed any light on this?

Nena recorded an album after _99_Red_Balloons_ called "All In The Game".
It's a good album, though not as moving as _99_ which is one of my favourite
tracks of all time.  Nena has (hopefully not 'had') an excellent and varied
voice, though the (light) rock backing musicians may not be the average
love-hound's cup of tea (not that any love-hound is average, of course :-).

Steve.

   \/\ /\ \/ \  / \\/      /    | JANET: stevew@uk.ac.man.cs.r5      |
     /   \ \/ \/   \\//\  /     | Internet: stevew@r5.cs.man.ac.uk   |
                    \/  \/      | UUCP: ..mcvax!ukc!man.cs.r5!stevew |