Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tapes? What tapes? Oh, you mean THOSE tapes!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 06:11:04 -0400
Subject: Tapes? What tapes? Oh, you mean THOSE tapes!

Vickie here, I'm a few days behind, sorry about the delay in answering.

Footah! writes:

> Um, MAYBE I spaced out while reading a message, or MAYBE rec.music.gaffa
> hiccupped, or MAYBE a giant mutant star-goat has been fiddling with my
> brain again (yes, that seems more likely), but what's all this about tapes
> anyway????  Can I have some?  Should I write to Larry?

> Seriously, I've landed in the same gorge of despair that Richard Caldwell
> et al have brought up recently:  years 'til another sending from Herself,
> and little hope in sight, so a tape of Love-Hounds approved music
> (or three) would be a pleasure indeed.

Those star goats, they sure are bizarre! Not as weird as all those
super-intelligent shades of the color blue though. Gee, well, there's
these tapes you see. Three there be. Videotapes all, though one is audio
only. Got it? Well, two of the videotapes are full of videos by lots of
people I've played on my show and the third is actually the audio only of
my last (well...) live (well...) 6-hour marathon. It seems very strange to
have a videotape that's audio only, but that's how Chris (aka Gunter) had
our system set up and it came in really handy because I could set the timer
on the videocassette player and it caught my entire show from the radio.
I have nearly all of my shows on videocassette. At first I had the idea of
dubbing down from videocassette to audiocassette and re-using the video, but
I never did, it got to be a habit and now, even though I've used a few cases
of videos and they're all audio only, I'm glad I did it that way.

OK, anyway, I sent the three videocassettes to Larry Hernandez and he's
keeping track of who gets the package next.
                    l-h@cup.portal.com
is the address you need to write to get on the list.

If I were sending the package out now I'd send it slightly differently in
that I'd cut out all my talking of the show. I just listened to it for the
first time the other day and was slightly appalled that I'd gone ahead and
dubbed the show and sent it to Larry without even listening to it first.
The music is all great though, and that's what really matters.

Rick from that part of the world also writes:

> Has anyone in the UK requested a copy of this yet? (And if so can I arrange
> to get one? And if not can I arrange to get one?)

Aw gee guys, I'm so sorry but it wouldn't work at all. Mainly because you
all have PAL and these videos were recorded in NTSC. Even the videotape
that's audio only wouldn't work. I wish we could work something out but
it's just not possible because of the different systems. Audio cassettes
work the same here and there and I'd offer to send you audio cassettes, but
our tape player is all weirded out. I just sent some audio cassettes to
Michael Hui and he tells me they won't play right. Darnwelldarn!

Here's a possible solution, but I need volunteers from America and the UK.

1) I could send a videocassette of my show(s) to someone who can record from
   video to audio and who'd be willing to dub down, then send the audio
   cassettes to:

2) someone in the UK who'd be willing to keep track of those who want the
   cassettes, who would do the same job that Larry Hernandez is doing here
   in America.

So I'd need two volunteers or it can't be done. Or it will have to wait
until we get a new audio cassette recorder. Yikes! Is this getting all too
complicated or what? I think it is and maybe it would be best to hold off
for a while. I am sorry, but thank you for asking anyway.

Whatever happens, I'm glad that you're all so interested in the tapes. My
main purpose in life is to spread music and I'll do that whatever way I
can, whenever I can.

I just now caught this message from Graham:

> G,day! Now that I have finally caught up with you I got a request. COULD
> YOU PLEASE SOMEHOW SEND ME A COPY OF THE SIG TAPES AND POSSIBLY THE
> VIDIO AS WELL? You probably don't know just how hard it is to lissen to
> all you KT-fans talk about the great shows and tapes bouncing around up
> there and nomatter how hard we try down here we never see any of them!!

> If you want I'll pay for the full cost of it all and then convert the
> vidio's to PAL (you guys run on NTSC) and start distributing them to
> all the Love Hounds around Oz.

Well, that's a thought! Can you really convert from NTSC to PAL??
Remember, these are just videos that I've collected from various sources
(television, friends) and the quality of some of them are dubious to begin
with, though I tried to pick fairly decent-looking stuff. Um, can the audio
videotape be converted and still be in stereo?
Are you really serious about this?? If you are, e-mail me directly and we'll
work it out.
Again, thank you so very much for your interest. I'm overwhelmed!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com