Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

global standards

From: cjs@hotlf.att.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 09:22 EDT
Subject: global standards

>> They certainly don't sound like american touchtone beeps (which i would
>> guess probably _are_ a global standard).

Actually, the US has a standard all it's own.  Europe, Latin
America and most of the Far East operates in what is called the
30-channel standard.  The US is 24-channel.  Things like
dial tone, ringing, coin phone operation etc are
different from country to country.   I called my international
phone experts but this one they were stumped on ('Well, dial
tone is always different...but touchtone?')

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't discount
the beeps JUST because it doesn't sound like US touchtone.

A bit of trivia I've learned working for at&t.
carol
cjs@hotlf.att.com