Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: VaKaTion

From: Happy Beef Torque <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 13:32:11 -0400
Subject: Re: VaKaTion
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
>Meanwhile Jon Drukman reveals himself to be a closet rapper while
>torching Kylie and the like.  Will we soon see postings flaming
>all music not produced entirely with drum machines signed by none
>other than JS Druk-master & Kool KT?

Actually, I was going to use "MC I Can't Believe It's Not Butter & DJ
Screaming Guy"...

>There are certainly many groups or 'artists' that can be justly
>identified has having little artistic value.  I don't think that
>there's anything wrong with identifying them as such as long as the
>reasons are valid.  I'm not sure it's necessary to flame about it
>unless it's someone who really deserves it (e.g. Milli Vanilli and
>their claim to be greater than Elvis, the Beatles, et al) but then
>some people just naturally spit a little venom with almost every
>sentence.

*haaaaack*  *ptoing*  *fizzzzz* who me?  C'mon, do you want this to be
all sweetness and light?  Where's the GRIT that belongs, nay, is
REQUIRED of any Kate oriented discussion group?  You can't tell me
that a woman who wrote something like "Get Out Of My House" wouldn't
want it that way.

Milli Vanilli are ridiculous.  They were deftly dissed by the TV show
"In Living Color."  Any band whose reputation lies solely in their
hairstyle deserves to die.  Besides, they stole the idea from their
name from "Scritti Politti" - a pop (top 40 even) band who have a few
songs that I just couldn't live without.  (Shocking confession time!)

>And what about those touch-tones in _Deeper Understanding_?

Ever hear of a modem?  Mine makes nice noises when connecting to
machines like Gaffa (my equivalent of the 'voice console')...

>She notes that "the laugh" on _The Sensual World_
>is clearly the laugh of a smoker.
>Maybe.  Or maybe its just the recording.  It's certainly hard to
>imagine the voice that produced the first note of _This Woman's Work_
>as suffering the affects of over fifteen years of tar and nicotine.

Well, maybe she just drank a lot of milk.  Milk and other dairy
products are well known for their ability to clog your vocal cords
with mucous, thus providing a nice "rough" quality to your vox.  I'm
told Kate drank lots of milk before tackling some of the more, um,
startling, vox on tracks like "Houdini" and "Get Out Of My House."

>I've never been one to chant that Kate is God.  I will concede that
>_Ne T'en Fui Pas_ is almost certainly some sort of message from God.

Oh yeah, no question.  Anybody wanna buy me a fretless?

>All the new equipment that she's bound to realize she'll need for her
>next album will not come cheap.

New equipment?  Kate?  C'mon, she's using a Fairlight (which is still
widely respected, but there are more modern, 'flash' machines
available for a zillionth of the price) that she admits she can't even
program (although that may have changed) and a Yamaha DX-7, for pity's
sake!  I should probably mention that I absolutely _detest_ DX-7s.
Compare the sterile timbres of TSW to the more lifelike, analogue
sounds on _The_Dreaming_.  Also, the grainier quality of the old
Fairlight II's samples added a nice element of dirtyness.  Who could
forget the barely-audible aliasing on those "ha" samples in "All The
Love" for instance?

Screw new equipment.  Kate needs a Roland MKS-70 and her old Fairlight
back.  She could use some new noise supressors though, maybe.  Or a
better mixing desk.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | and you need everything we make.       |