Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

VaKaTion

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 09:37:28 EDT
Subject: VaKaTion

With my vaKaTion approaching what better time to take care of
a little mental house cleaning?  Putting a smiley every few lines
would just about capture the tone...

---
I didn't receive any further remarks on my notations to _Saxophone
Song_ so you may consider it complete as last posted.  I won't bother
posting it again unless someone missed it.

My original idea was to do the songs in order of appearance but I
think that I'll switch to alphabetical order.   This way we'll have
and established order to work in but we'll be skipping around among
the albums.

Of course, I will only be doing the official releases.  I don't think
it's appropriate to examine a work that may or may not be KompleTe so
carefully, particularly when we don't even know all the lyrics.  There
are plenty of masterpieces to be examined before we go rummaging through
Kate's wastebasket.

Many thanks to IED who contributed his lyrics file which will make
this a bit easier.

---
With all this talk about taking acid I thought I'd wandered into
rec.music.gdead.

---
Meanwhile Jon Drukman reveals himself to be a closet rapper while
torching Kylie and the like.  Will we soon see postings flaming
all music not produced entirely with drum machines signed by none
other than JS Druk-master & Kool KT?

There are certainly many groups or 'artists' that can be justly
identified has having little artistic value.  I don't think that
there's anything wrong with identifying them as such as long as the
reasons are valid.  I'm not sure it's necessary to flame about it
unless it's someone who really deserves it (e.g. Milli Vanilli and
their claim to be greater than Elvis, the Beatles, et al) but then
some people just naturally spit a little venom with almost every
sentence.

---
The Druk-master was right about one thing, extended conversations
about Kylie and/or Public Enemy would probably be more appropriate
in email or some other news group.

---
I'm sure the folks out in California were glad to hear about the
record show in New Jersy.  Thanks, Fred.

---
Vickie (of Chris'n'Vickie) says:
> The program director at KKFI has agreed to let me tape my show in Chicago
> and send it down to Kansas City so it can continue to air there!

Great news! Maybe if there are any other Love-Hounds with connections
in radio you can get this thing aired in some other places as well!
Syndicate the darn thing!

> Our site's in Boston so we'll still be on the net.
> We'll be busybusybusy for the next few weeks though so we'll be scarce.

Isn't moving such a joy?  You discover so many wild and wondrous
things lurking in closets and poorly lit corners.  Good luck with the
move.  Since you'll be roughly half as far from your site can we
expect your posting volume to double?  The mind boggles.

> Neal gives his listing of videos:

Arg!  My facist mailer insists on stamping my first name on
everything and I neglected to sign my post as Richard just to add
confusion.

> That song is "Here Comes The Flood" and it's the most moving, subtly
> emotional version I've ever heard him sing. It makes me cry.

It is a very nice song, I didn't mean to treat it so lightly but I
couldn't recall the song at the time.

> Thanks for the list, your's does sound like something we would have put
> together, except that we had stopped making dubs by the time "Don't Give Up"
> was released.

That was added by request.

> Does your Fri Nite Sat Morn start with Dr. Morris saying...

It starts with Kate walking out on stage.  Sounds like I may have you
to thank for this video, perhaps three or four iterations ago.

> Again I say, if you bought a dub of a video that we dubbed for someone else
> a long time ago, we NEVER meant for them to be sold, we NEVER meant for
> anyone to make money from the dubs. I'm glad you have it, but I'm sorry you
> had to pay for it.

No, it was Deb who paid for a video that was a good deal different.
Mine came out of the generousity of a fellow Kate fan and Love-Hounds
lurker.   While I'd _certainly_ pay to have this stuff, I agree
completely, it really should shared, not sold for profit.

---
Having dug myself into that hole, someone offered me monetary
inducement to share this video with them.  Sorry, but I really can't
right now.  I've done some dubbing of this video for other Kate fans
of late so I've done my duty for now.  When I do share something like
this I accept only a video tape and postage in return (although I admit
that I would accept an even trade of other commercially unavailable
Kate video or audio).   For right now, though, I'm done dubbing.  I'm
happy to play a small part in passing this stuff along but I don't
have time to pass it along to everyone.

My advice is to post a general message asking if anyone will dub it
for you.  If someone is feeling particularly good at the time maybe
they'll pass it - or something like it - along.   If you wait a few
months it might be me.  I'm sure there are plenty of Love-Hounds who
can sympathize with dubbing burn-out.

Note that while each generation of the tape should be worse than the
last, mine is so poor that copies were not noticeably worse so I'm
probably not the best person to get this from anyway.

---
_Heads We're Dancing_ is driving me mad.  There seem to be a some
backing vocals that are almost completely obscured by the
instrumentation and lead vocals.  These are so deeply layered into the
music that they are barely discernable.  Another "secret message"
perhaps?  Maybe, but sometimes I think they're just saying "do-do-
do-do-do".

And what about those touch-tones in _Deeper Understanding_?

---
MTV is starting a request show for old or new videos.  It's probably
another 900 number but maybe it would be worth it to coordinate an
effort to get a rare Kate video shown, perhaps the Wogan performance
of _Running Up That Hill_?

---
I've often worried that Kate's smoking habit might someday rob us of
her tremendous talent or that it might some day come to affect her work.
According to a friend, KT neophyte and burgeoning Love-Hound it has
happened already.  She notes that "the laugh" on _The Sensual World_
is clearly the laugh of a smoker.

Maybe.  Or maybe its just the recording.  It's certainly hard to
imagine the voice that produced the first note of _This Woman's Work_
as suffering the affects of over fifteen years of tar and nicotine.

I guess it's Kate's choice.

---
I've never been one to chant that Kate is God.  I will concede that
_Ne T'en Fui Pas_ is almost certainly some sort of message from God.

I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of lightning strikes right
now.

---
And just how long will we have to wait for the next album?  I'm
betting no more than three years.   Sure, she's taken a year longer
to complete each of the last three albums but she's never gone more
than three years without some kind of major release (i.e. income).
All the new equipment that she's bound to realize she'll need for her
next album will not come cheap.

But then maybe I just don't care to contemplate the possibility of four
or even five year wait.  Does anyone know if there are any obligations
built into her new Columbia contract?

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com