Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.

From: torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 17:40:28 GMT
Subject: Re: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sics.se

In article <9006051605.AA29916@gaffa.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.
EDU writes:

   >I don't believe Kylie or
   >any of the rest of her ilk are honestly doing the music that feels
   >right to them, I believe that they are trying to make a quick buck by
   >purveying media-friendly sex.

  Now, on what basis do you believe this? Certainly Kylie Minogue herself
has explicitly stated otherwise.

   >I agree completely, but how much investment can a singer have in
   >lyrics that they didn't write?  OK, maybe a lot,

  "Maybe a lot", indeed. Few opera singers, for example, write their own
lyrics.

   >The record INDUSTRY is an INDUSTRY, a BUSINESS, and profits
   >are their bottom line.

  Certainly. All art is industry. This in itself tells us nothing about the
quality of a particular performance.

  >Let me leave you with the lyrical brilliance of Public Enemy:

  Public Enemy are extremely boring.