Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist 116

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 90 18:48:27 -0400
Subject: Vickie's playlist 116

Vickie here. This show consisted mainly  of requests from people who were
afraid they'd never get to hear some of these artists ever again :-)
These are all artists I've played before, no new people this time.
I had a wonderful surprise halfway through the show when Karen Peris
of The Innocence Mission called me and I interviewed her on the air!
The group is opening for Don Henley Sunday night. I can't go though,
it's just too expensive :-( :-(

                      Suspended In Gaffa 116
                       Playlist for 6-2-90

   * Artist *                                 * Song *

1.  Dave & Barbara                          A World Of Difference
2.  Dave & Barbara                          Locomotion (Flying Scotsman mix)
3.  Dave & Barbara                          Mr Theremin
(Yes, Dave "not the same one who's in Eurythmics" Stewart & Barbara Gaskin.
Their new album is out and will please fans. Anyone who is interested in
well-crafted, interesting, unusual electronic pop will love this duo)

4.  Kirsty MacColl                          Mother's Ruin
5.  Kirsty MacColl                          Fifteen Minutes
6.  Kirsty MacColl                          Dancing In Limbo
(Her album "Kite" is now a domestic American release. I HOPE (wish, pray,
get-down-on-my-knees kind of thing) that she gets the attention she so
richly deserves. Too many artists of Kirsty's calibur get ignored. Buy this.
Please. Listen to it over and over again. Read the lyrics. You won't regret
it. Really. Cross-My-Heart. Seriously. Tell your friends.)

7.  Mercedes Sosa                            Galopa Murrieta
8.  Mercedes Sosa                            Como Pajaros En El Aire
(I played this last week and my new Najma/Aster/Marta/Edith fanatic fell
in love with her too. I have to tell this story. He tuned in a few weeks ago
for the first time and caught the middle of a Najma song. Before, music had
not been a part of his life and the only female artists he was really even
familiar with were Crystal Gayle and Connie Francis. I've turned him onto
an entirely different world and he's SO enthusiastic! He pledged too :-)
Mercedes is from Argentina and is known for her (banned) political songs.)

9.  Aster Aweke                              Y'shebellu
(Aster's from Ethopia and performs Ethiopian pop and traditional music.
Her voice is extraordinary! She lives in America now and performs every
Friday and Saturday night at the Asmara Club in Washington D.C. so drop
by sometime if you get the chance. Call first, she was supposed to tour
Europe sometime this summer, not sure just when.)

10. Kate Bush                                 Warm And Soothing

This was when I got the call from Karen Peris and we chatted for about
15 minutes. Technical problems with the phone marred the interview a
bit but it was still very nice.

11. Innocence Mission                         I Remember Me
12. Innocence Mission                         Medjugorje
13. Innocence Mission                         Paper Dolls

14. Wendy MaHarry                             Madman's Got It Made
15. Wendy MaHarry                             Cool Water Running
(I had the album but I like it so much that I bought the CD too the other
day. It grows on you. Her offbeat and fun vocals and arrangements are a
joy to hear. She's also very serious at times and incorporates touches of
blues and jazz. This is another artist who shouldn't be ignored and I will
look forward to following her career. She's pop, but she's light years
beyond most of what you'll ever hear on commercial radio.)

16. Jane Siberry                               Extra Executives (live)
(It will be a couple of months before I can make dubs :-) Have to get
settled in Chicago first. This was recorded at Barrymores in Ottawa. No date)

17. Victoria Williams                          Frying Pan
18. Victoria Williams                          Merry Go Round
19. Victoria Williams                          Weeds
(Probably my favorite female artist after Kate'n'Jane. She's an artist
who can't be labeled, though "quirky folk" would do in an emergency.
She has, and I'm not kidding, *THE* *MOST* *UNUSUAL* voice in music today
(or any other day for that matter) and it's a love it or hate it voice.
There is no middle ground. She's a storyteller and her songs always provoke
vivid mental images, smiles, frowns, wonder and amazement. Cynical people
stay away! D.A. Pennebaker (Monterey Pop etc.) was so enchanted by her that
he filmed a documentary about her. It's aired on PBS so keep an eye out
for the "Independents" episode "Pride Of Place" repeat. She's also on tour
so please go see her if she comes near where you live. Her first (wonderful!)
album "Happy Come Home" was released in 1987 so her new album "Swing The
Statue" is a treat that I've been waiting for for a long time. HCH was
first released on Geffen Records but she was so weird they dropped her and
she's now on Rough Trade.)

                      ---------------------------
                             Album list

1.  I'm In A Different World 12"              2.  Locomotion 12"
3.  The Big Idea                              4.  Kite
5.  Kite                                      6.  Kite
7.  Gracias A La Vidas                        8.  Gracias A La Vidas
9.  Aster                                     10. December... b-side
11. Innocence Mission                         12. Innocence Mission
13. Innocence Mission                         14. Wendy MaHarry
15. Wendy MaHarry                             16. tape from a friend
17. Happy Come Home                           18. Happy Come Home
19. Happy Come Home

Next week...."Around the Universe"

                       116 down, 2 more to go

=  Vickie   of  Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com   =
=                 "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                        =
=                    Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                            =
=       Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz        =