Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: once aGaiN the maILbag is opened by youR cAntankerous olD ied

From: C'mon Cancer <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 May 90 09:23:23 -0400
Subject: Re: once aGaiN the maILbag is opened by youR cAntankerous olD ied
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>     This takes us into _The_Morning_Fog_. "Morning Fog" is the symbol of
>light and hope. It's the end of the side, and if you ever have any
>control over endings they should always, I feel, have some kind of light
>in there.
>
>     Love-Hounds will see from these words of Kate's not only that
>the protagonist of _The_Ninth_Wave_ is female (the song _Jig_of_Life_
>can permit no other condition anyway, so Kate's confirmation isn't
>even necessary), but also that the heroine is _not_ "dead"!

Where in that whole thing you posted (that I edited down, admittedly)
did it mention her not dying?  I don't want to open up this whole
debate again but "symbol of light and hope" does not necessarily mean
that the protagonist survived, you know.

>     IED would like to hear what the hot debate is, too. But he does
>not agree with Vickie that _TMWtCiHE_ is "such an innocent song". Not
>when he recalls Kate's needle-injection-in-the-arm gesture (_SNL_
>performance) for the line "I just took a trip on my love for him". In
>fact, the subject of the song is of a young girl's first sexual love,
>or at least an imagined sexual love--not exactly "innocent", in IED's
>view.

Wow!  I never knew about the "injection" gesture.  That's really
interesting.  I just knew that all those farfetched ideas I had about
Kate's oeuvre being heavily drug-oriented were actually true...  Now
the song reminds me of _Sid_and_Nancy_, albeit with the narrator
taking the part of Sid.  Innocence corrupted, anyone?

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | and you need everything we make.       |