Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KATE SPECIAL

From: E Welsh <ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 10 May 90 11:40:00 GMT
Subject: KATE SPECIAL
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I picked up an unlabelled picture disc at Vinyl Villains in Edinburgh
the other day. The guy at the shop didn't know what was on it apart from
the fact that it was a bootleg. When I got it home I found out it was
a dub of the BBC Kate Special. OK so I didn't really expect anything I
hadn't heard before but it's nice to dream, right? There is no cover, just
a piece of transparent plastic but the picture is very nice - same on
both sides by the way. It's a close up of her face, quite rare these
days although it's a publicity shot from the HOL period (I believe).
She wears an embroidered hat at an angle. Is it a pill-box hat or
something like that? Her hair's been stuffed inside the hat (very nice -
and Vickie, she hasn't cut it). Readers of the Daily Record here in
Scotia may remember the waist-and-upwards photo they print every so
often (well - twice that I remember). This is a close-up of the neck and
head from that photo.
So, is this old news or have I found something new? There are absolutely
no inscriptions on the disc at all.
BTW they're a bunch of crooks down there! My girlfriend had bought me
the 12-inches of Cloudbusting and XIV thinking I didn't have them -
silly girl ;-) and I took them back unplayed wanting to do part exchange
for this pic. disc which cost 15 pounds. He was only going to give me a
fiver for the pair which they sold to my girlfriend for 9.50 ! This was
on instructions from his boss through the back so I gave his boss some
stick and he eventually agreed to give me the original 9.50. As it was I
had to borrow money from my friend to raise the 5.50 supplement for the
pic. disc.
He also showed me a promo copy of the British WH single which was going
for 40 pounds. Does anyone out there think this is worth it? I suspect
it probably is but I've got to eat haven't I?
Evan...