Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Ninth Wave

From: The Guitarist From Hell <fox-r@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 09:52:12 -0400
Subject: Re: The Ninth Wave
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Just a quickie, folks.  Could someone *mail* me the story that
>The Ninth Wave is telling, please?

Here is a quick reply.  The story basically is of a person (most likely a man)
who is somehow thrown off of the ship he was traveling on.  He is now in
the water trying to stay alive.  The longer he is in the water, the more
tired he gets.  He soon falls asleep and has a variety of dreams showing
his longing for being rescued and safe.  He returns home and visits
his home "after dying".  Later, he leaves his body entirely and floats
away, to look at the Earth from orbit.  The story ends on a happy note
with the song Morning Fog but I think this is his last dream, as he
dreams of being safe, he really dies.  The lyrics are opaque enough to
really derive many interpretations.  Mine comes from interviews with
Kate as she explains the thing.

Richard Fox				| fox-r@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Laboratory for Artificial Intelligence  |
	Research			| from the depths of the
The Ohio State University 		| Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

"Where can I go to get my jeans embrodered?" - Eddie
"At jeans North where nothing fits" - Flo
    -- Call Any Vegetable, Frank Zappa