Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

mailbag: ied eats Krow, eTc.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 90 11:55 PDT
Subject: mailbag: ied eats Krow, eTc.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 >Ah ha! Kate *herself* said that it was designed by Geiger in the
 >unedited version of the 1985 MTV interview.

   Vickie and Chris, you're right. IED completely forgot about that inter-
view. It's not like Kate to have failed to credit Giger (note correct
spelling) for his part in the design, though--especially since we know
how much she liked his work on _Alien_. Any explanation?

 > IED, I'm confused. In PK's book, the other "Form II" poems are titled
 >"I Have Seem Him" and "Call Me". Where did "A Tear and a Raindrop Met"
 >appear?

   IED has not seen the poem itself, but it is listed by Mayes and Cann
in their _Kate_Bush:_A_Visual_Documentary_ book. Since they went to the
trouble of checking out the magazines from the school's library themselves
(and taking a picture of them), IED assumes they are correct about titles.

 >What the hell does "Night Scented Stock" mean?  All I can think of
 >when I read the name is smelly cows, but that doesn't flow with the
 >actual song (one of my favorite Kate things ever).
 >   Any clues?
 >
 >-- Susan L. Cecelia Harwood

     "Night-scented stock" is the name of a very lovely-smelling
flower. IED first found reference to it in a Gnaio Marsh mystery
set in New Zealand, but IED thinks the flower turns up in England, as
well--and possibly in Shakespeare, too? If there's anyone in the group
who knows about flowers, could he or she tell us more about this flower?

 >I haven't seen mentioned yet:
 >THE SECRET POLICEMAN'S THIRD BALL (featuring a live "Running Up That Hill")
 >COMIC RELIEF PRESENTS: UTTERLY UTTERLY LIVE (with a live "Breathing" and
 >         a Kate/Rowan "Blackadder" Atkinson duet on "Do Bears...". I haven't
 >         actually seen this on CD but have been told it's out.  UK only.)
 > GREENPEACE (not the US GREENPEACE:RAINBOW WARRIORS but an earlier disc,
 >         featuring the LP mix of "Breathing")
 >
 >-- Lazlo

   IED has never seen any sign of a CD version of the _Comic_Relief_
_Presents:_Utterly,_Utterly_Live_ Comic Relief album. It was released
only as an LP (and possibly a cassette) at the time, anyway.
   IED, though he is pretty much of a KompleTist, himself, cannot
in good conscience recommend to any Love-Hound the purchase of the old
Greenpeace compilation, if the purpose is simply to obtain the LP
mix of _Breathing_. The difference between the single mix and the LP mix
is pretty much undetectable, at least to IED, though references to both
have convinced him that they exist. Anyway, doesn't the _Never_For_Ever_
CD contain the LP mix, and doesn't the CD of _The_Whole_Story_ contain
the single mix? So why get the Greenpeace CD?
     One other CD _is_ worth getting: the _It's_Christmas!_ CD from
EMI, which came out last Christmas in the UK. It contains the 1979 studio
version (i.e., the second of three known versions) of _December_Will_Be_
_Magic_Again_. This is the version (as Peter explains in the latest
_Homeground_, which IED got today--it's a terrific issue, too!) that
Kate planned to release as a Christmas single in 1979, but which
was held back at the last moment. Previous to its release on this
compilation CD it was known to fans only through a distinctly low-fi
mono version, in the form of the audio-track from a clip of Kate's
lip-synch performance of the track on Abba's 1979 BBC-TV _Winter_
_Snowtime_ special. The new CD transfer shows many subtleties in
the recording that make the expense well worthwhile, and that make the
track's erstwhile unofficial name ("the bongos version") seem woefully
inadequate.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   IED doesn't have the address of Kindlight (for the official T-shirt)
with him, unfortunately. There's a full description of the offer in
the new (38th) issue of _Homeground_. Anyone care to transcribe the
message for Love-Hounds? It also includes the prices for remaining
copies of _Cathy_, John Carder Bush's exquisite collection of photos
of Kate as a child--it now costs (gulp) 40 Pounds, delivered air-mail
to the U.S.!
   Also, anyone who spots a Columbia Records Kate Bush _TSW_ T-shirt
please alert the group! Thanks for that, too.