Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Paganism

From: pekowsky-larne@YALE.EDU (larne pekowsky)
Date: 9 Apr 90 21:05:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate and Paganism
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@YALE.EDU

In article <9004072109.AA03942@gaffa.MIT.EDU> MTARR@WESLEYAN.BITNET writes:
>Greetings...
>
>Reading Larne from Yale's account of how he became a Love-Hound reminded
>me of something I've been meaning to bring up for a while now: the amount
>of pagan imagery present in the video for "The Sensual World".
>
>I don't know what was discussed about Kate on the paganism mailing list
>(anybody like to enlighten me?)...

I'd be glad to.  Basically, your message and woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (the
evil one)'s reply summerized the important parts.  Someone mentioned the
pagan-like imagery in some of Kate's songs and videos, and asked if she was
Wiccan/Pagan.  Someone else replied that she has stated she isn't affiliated
with any particular religion.  The discussion then continued a bit on the
imagery and symbolism itself (now that I've heard HOL, some of this seemed to
me to be people seeing references where none really exist, but to each their
own interpretation).  Then came the requests for recommendations for a first
album (several for HOL, one for _The Whole Story_).  This was shortly followed
by the required "I went through my Kate phase, but got tired of screechy
vocals" and "please move this to love-hounds" and the resulting backlash
(though I must say, to everyone's credit, this never degenerated to flame level
- just one polite message each way).  Finally, there was a bit of talk about
the use of music (Kate's and others') in ritual and meditation.

I don't think there's any evidence that Kate is a Wiccan/Druid/Pagan
whathaveyou (although I wonder if she would say so if she were), but she does
seem to get some of her inspiration from the same places a lot of the
neo-pagan religions get theirs.

						- Larne
pekowsky@yale.arpa