Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Vickie's playlist #109

From: Rotund For Success <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 09:34:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Vickie's playlist #109
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9004090341.AA27589@world.std.com> katefans@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) writes:
>Caterwaul is a band I've fallen in love with, but I don't recommend them.
>Why? Because they're a "either love 'em or hate 'em" band and I don't
>want to be responsible for someone going out and buying their albums and
>ending up using them as frisbees. It's hard to guess who will like them.
>"Ethereals" and people who love truly unusual female voices will probably
>love Betsy Martin's vocals but might be put off by the heavy guitar-based
>rock. "Rockers" who'll listen to nearly anything with guitars & drums might
>despise Betsy's voice and vocal style. It's impossible for me to say "you
>will like this" because not everyone is as weird as I am :-)

Well, I'll recommend Caterwaul then to everybody.  Because I'm sure
everybody will listen once and go "euuuew YECH!" and throw it away,
only to realize a few months later that they threw out something of
incredible depth and sophistication.  It sounds kinda like Siouxsie
Sioux meets Led Zeppelin or something, except for the quiet ones which
sound like Jane Siberry on bad acid.  Personally, I think they're
great although it took a few listens to get the hang of Betsy's wail,
but then again, I used to think Kate was too weird.

>=                 "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                      =
>=                    Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                          =
>=       Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz      =

Caterwaul is nothing more than boyz with guitarz but with a weirdo
woman's voice superimposed.  Besides, she sounds like Robert Plant on
at least one or two songs... ("Big Ox Laughing" springs to mind...)

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | and you need everything we make.       |