Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: news@Atherton.COM (News Administrator)
Date: 9 Apr 90 11:10:57 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: athertn.Atherton.COM

From: MTARR@WESLEYAN.BITNET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Kate and Paganism
Date: 7 Apr 90 21:15:39 GMT

Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

Greetings...

Reading Larne from Yale's account of how he became a Love-Hound reminded
me of something I've been meaning to bring up for a while now: the amount
of pagan imagery present in the video for "The Sensual World".

I don't know what was discussed about Kate on the paganism mailing list (anybody
like to enlighten me?), but the general consensus among my friends and family
who have seen the TSW video is, My God, That's SO Pagan!!!  My sister proclaimed
the part where KT is dancing backwards through the trees and the full moon
as positively Wiccan, although I don't know enough of Wiccan stuff to be able
to agree or disagree.  It's certainly Celtic- trees, moon, fire, a hauntingly
beautiful woman dancing very strangely through it all.  It seems Druid to
me, but again, I'm not one to judge.

I think the only time I've seen Kate wear an item of jewelry was on one of
the MTV mini-interviews, in which she was wearing a Druid sickle pendant
around her neck.  I know she's said she doesn't have any real religious beliefs,
but with her Irish heritage and her interest in traditional Celtic stuff,
it didn't appear strange to me.

Does anybody have an opinion on this?  Has anybody else noticed this, what
do you think, have you heard KT mention anything about it in an interview,
whatever.  I'll welcome e-mail on the subject, but if you're going through
UUCP please post, because I won't be able to e-mail you an answer.  I'm really
intrigued by all this, and would like some outside input.

Meredith Tarr                   "Looking for a moment that'll never happen
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu         Living in the gap between past and future"
Wesleyan University                                             -KT