Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Boston PHOENIX/WFNX best music poll

From: kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Agathagelos Kyrlidis)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 90 21:32:31 GMT
Subject: Boston PHOENIX/WFNX best music poll
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

--------

Hello,

Well, I can't get to sleep and I decided to let you know the results of the
Boston PHOENIX/WFNX poll.

I will emphasize on:
BEST NATIONAL FEMALE VOCALIST:

SINEAD O' CONNOR
NOTHING COMPARES 2 HER by Ted Drozdowski

Who else? At 21, with her debut album TLATC Sinead O'Connor established
herself as perhaps the greatest voice to emerge during te '80's. She's a
stylist on par with Roy Orbison, Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel, and a gifted
songwriter whose abilities have grown considerably in the space of a single
album. Her new IDNWWIHG has just been released here, but it's already
heading headlong up European charts, affirming that O'Connor's robin's
egg-blue eyes and shaven head will be more than a fleeting visage.

She's also a stronger person. In the past, she used a tough veneer as a
smokescreen and hid behind lyrics drenched in historical references and
generalities. Her new albumis openly personal and direct. She's also applied
her voice, which seemingly has a synthesizer's way with sonic aerobics, to
an old songwriter's tradition: protest music. The song "Black Boys on Mopeds"
is a biting attack on Margaret Thatcher's domestic policies; it pushes the
UK's problems with racism into the glaring lights of international pop.
In Boston, we're finally learning not to throw stones at other locales,
though the lessons of the last six months have been damn hard, and the
song takes on a special resonance.

In a few months O' Connor will begin a tour of the States, and we're sure
to see her here again, delivering emotional songs in her effortlessly
acrobatic voice. Her performances at the Paradise and te Metro (now Citi)
were among 1988's finest, and the growing authority that resonates through
IDNWWIHG is bound to be reflected in her upcoming stagework. The music
promises much and O'Connor has the talent and spirit to deliver.

First runner up: Kate Bush
Second runner up: Bonnie Raitt
Third (tie): Tracy Chapman, Natalie Merchant.

The BEST LOCAL FEMALE VOCALIST by the way was Janet LaValley from the
Boston band TRIBE. I don't know much about them, but I got their
latest release "here at the home" two weeks ago and was amazed.
If you can find it you should check it out. I haven't seen them live
yet, but I plan to go sometime in the near future.

If that was not enough Sinead featured in the cover of the PHOENIX,
and also won second runner up for BEST NATIONAL SONG with "Nothing...".
The winner there was "ROAM" by the B-52's.

I  have probably bored you all to death with this...So, I'll stop
and will not get into the other categories.

That's all for now,

Angelos
e-mail to:                         |I LIKE MUSIC BY 10,000 Maniacs, V. Femmes,
kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu            |Lene Lovich, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson,
kyrlidis@jack.mit.edu              |Sinead O Connor, Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed,
===================================|David Bowie, Velvet Underground, Tribe, U2,
"When Tomorrow Comes..."           |Eurythmics, Prince, Indigo Girls, Pixies