Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mystical messages

From: briarpatch!billy@mcnc.mcnc.org (Billy Green)
Date: Fri, 30-Mar-90 02:22:01 EDT
Subject: Mystical messages

This has probably been discussed here before, but I missed it if it has.

Looking at my copies of the Cathy demos, I noticed messages etched in the
vinyl (near the center of the disc).

Volume two side a reads: "I HAVE BELLIE BAD LUCK"
Volume two side b reads: "YOU WISHED IT ON YOURSELF"

Volume three side a reads: "GEE OUR OLD LASALLE RAN GREAT"
Volume three side b reads: "BIG BLACK BEARD"

(I don't have volume one, since I can't find it anywhere.)

I've looked at all my import and domestic singles, and I don't find any
other etchings, except on the 7" picture disc of "This Woman's Work".
Etched into it is the following message:

			  "UP YOURS UGLY"

(including the quotation marks)

Who puts these messages on these records?  In the case of the Flying Lizards'
"Top Ten" album, it obviously was the group (since the etched words,
"Frivolous" and "Vexatious" were printed in the CD booklet).  The "I have
bellie bad luck" and "You wished it on yourself" almost sounds like her
kind of joke/enigma.  The other messages, however, come from left field.
If Kate has any control over these messages, then why the reference to
"All In the Family"?  And why say "Up yours ugly" to your fans?

Enquiring minds *need* to know.

Billy Green
Chapel Hill, NC
{decvax,gatech,rutgers,uunet}!mcnc!briarpatch!billy

"That cloud looks like toxic waste!"