Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Celts, St. Patrick etc

From: sco!scol!declann@uunet.uu.net
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 90 15:13:23 -0500
Subject: Celts, St. Patrick etc

Vickie writes :

>Hello! God I hate great competition! I had to compete with Michelle Shocked
>on Austin City Limits and The Pogues on Saturday Night Live. Yikes! I set
>my VCR for Michelle but I'll have to wait for the repeat to get The Pogues.
>Plus the fact that it was St. Patrick's Day, I probably only had 10 people
>listening :-( I really don't understand what's with St. Patrick's Day. It
>seems as if half the population of the US uses it as an excuse to go out
>and get drunk and act stupid and pose a menace to the rest of us! Hey, I'm
>part Irish (really, I know everybody says that on St. Patrick's Day, but I
>really am!) and I don't feel obligated to get drunk. It's all so silly. Hey
>Declan, what do they do in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day? Do you all wear
>green? I'm proud to say that I didn't wear a speck of green Saturday!

Well, everyone dresses up as a leprechaun and spends the whole day getting
outrageously drunk on green Guinness  (JOKE !)  :-) :-) :-).
Actually, I think celebrations at home are fairly muted in comparison to
those in the US. I have to say that I often cringe when I see the antics
of so-called Irish-Americans around the time of St. Patricks Day. It can be
a bit of a pain to see all the old stereotypes being wheeled out again.

(By the way, which part of you is Irish ? :-) )

Anyway, I spent my St. Patricks night at a Stiff Little Fingers gig, and
rather good it was too, even if the guys are getting on a bit for the type
of music they play :-)  Anybody else out there remember SLF ?

>                -------------------------------------

>Macalla is a group of 23 women from Ireland. That's all I know because a
>friend sent me a tape and he doesn't know anything else about them either.
>It's very excellent Irish music, both vocally and instrumentally. I'm not
>sure about the title of the album because the "M" in Mna could be an "N".
>It's hard to read.

You are right. Also the title means "Women Of Ireland", by the way. An apt
song for the day and the program format.

Bye For Now

Declan

declann@sco.COM