Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Confusion at the End of the World

From: Eric France <eric@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: 26 Mar 90 19:56:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Confusion at the End of the World
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

WARNING: Somewhat technical jargon follows (I warned ya!):

Jon Drukman almost barfed up a lung when he said:    ;)
> Well, pretty much everything these days is the internet.  Inasmuch as
> the terms USENET and UUNET still apply, they are pretty much the same
> thing, but the lines are blurring everywhere.  Only BITNET is still
> pretty much alien.

Not precisely true.  What "is" Internet and "isn't" Internet is pretty clearly
defined by the Internet Protocols (IPs) which are laid out by the US Federal
Govt and are available for public perusal on NIC.DDN.MIL.   Uunet is kind of
an informal "modemnet" -- all any host needs to be in uunet is another uunet
host knowing where it is.  This certainly doesn't qualify uunet as a subnet
of the Internet, the way a net like NYSERNET is.  However, I agree; BITNET
is alien.

(some other guy)
>>   I ask on behalf of all us babes in the woods out here, still learning to
>>maneuver on INTERNET, outside the BITNET womb.  To confirm my ignorance, one
>>final query:  I have learned to FTP to an INTERNET server, login as user
>>anonymous, change directories and view them.  But what have I missed that I
>>cannot seem to SEND myself anything? It seems that no matter what, if I enter
>>SEND filespec, for a file right in front of me in the directory, I get the
>>message "file not found."  Is there some added punctuation I need to use?
>
> Well, "send" usually means that YOU are sending the file specified to
> the other system.  I think you want to use "get" to get the file from
> the remote host...

Your FTP may have a HELP command implemented which will list FTP commands.
Other useful commands: PUT will do the opposite of get and write a file
onto the host you are FTP'ed to (I do this instead of SEND. )
REMOTEHELP will ask the other host
for a list of commands; BINARY will change the file transmission to raw
binary -- you need this to GET or PUT non-text stuff like compiled programs,
image files, etc....Now isn't this much more fun than BITNET?

I too rely on netnews for my gaffa, so I would not like to see the connection
between r.m.g. and the mailing list (Love-Hounds?) sundered.

Eric France (Number 36434)			"Think, Dammit!"
eric@clutx.clarkson.edu

"I will not be grepped, biffed, awked, uuencoded, uudecoded, or chowned!"