Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Single File

From: jim%BILPIN.UUCP@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Sun Mar 25 11:59:21 BST 1990
Subject: Re: The Single File
Sender: jim%uucp.bilpin%DOC.IMPERIAL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu

    #$v_gaffa.11
    IN ARTICLE: <9003230802.AA07616@gaffa.MIT.EDU>,
	8548222@WWU.EDU (Dave Armstrong) WRITES:

>   [...]
>   In December 1983 Kate released a video compilation called _The Single
>   File_. In January 1984 a box set of 7" singles was released also called
>   _TSF_. I do not know if it contains the exact same material as the video
>   as I have never seen one. If anyone out there has a copy maybe you could
>   let us know and also tell us what the B-sides are.
>   [...]

    Firstly, the track listing for the video and the title 'Single' (rather
    than 'Singles' - someone queried this) given by DA are correct. <The
    Single File 1978-1983> boxed set is covered in the vine leaves from <The
    Dreaming> back cover, but in a deep grey-green, with all the lettering
    in gold.
    The contents are (different from the video):
	Lyrics booklet, with full-page colour photographs from:
	  Wuthering Heights (white gown)
	  Babooshka (black leotard, veil, double bass)
	  Sat in your lap (bulls, jesters, frou-frou frock)
	  The Dreaming (thermal flying suit)
	13 singles (all picture sleeve versions)
	  Wuthering Heights / Kite
	  The man with the child in his eyes / Moving
	  Hammer horror / Coffee homeground
	  Wow / Full house
	  Kate Bush on stage (incl):
	   (Them heavy people / Don't push your foot on the heartbrake
	   (James and the cold gun / L'amour looks something like you
	  Breathing / The empty bullring
	  Babooshka / Ran tan waltz
	  Army dreamers / Delius / Passing though air
	  December will be magic again / Warm and soothing
	  Sat in your lap / Lord of the reedy river
	  The dreaming / Dreamtime
	  There goes a tenner / Ne t'enfuis pas
	  Ne t'enfuis pas / Un baiser d'enfant

    There was (and probably still is) illicit dealing in the TSF singles
    being re-sold individually as the *original* picture sleeve singles
    (which are scarcer, and therefore fetch higher prices). There *are*
    differences between the originals and the re-issues, but they can
    usually only be identified by looking at the record itself; there are
    numerous differences in the arrangement of the lettering on the label,
    the wording of copyright and publication notices, and the
    typefaces/sizes used; the best guide is that only the originals have the
    hand-written inscriptions in the centre (except <Army dreamers>).

Here is a summary of how to identify the originals :
Wuthering Heights
  A - 'Remember the whales!'
The man with the child in his eyes
  A - 'The child hides in the light'
Hammer horror
  A - 'We're all playing a hunch!'
Wow (my set had two copies of this in the same sleeve)
  Original has 'Made in Gt Britain' at bottom of label
  TSF      has 'Manufactured in the UK by EMI Records Ltd' at bottom of label
Kate Bush on stage
  Original has 'Made in Gt Britain' at bottom of label, and a stiff card
  gatefold sleeve, only RH side open
  TSF      has 'Manufactured in the UK by EMI Records Ltd' at bottom of label,
  and a floppy card gatefold sleeve, both sides open
Breathing
  A - 'We all share the same air'
  B - 'Happy anniverary(sic) to the P's'
Babooshka
  (no discernible differences)
Army dreamers
  A - 'Life is to love'
  (also on TSF - only original has 'For credits see over' on A side)
December will be magic again
  A - 'Happy Christmas'
Sat in your lap
  A - 'Well done J.B. 1st Dan'
  B - 'Thank you Donovan'
The dreaming
  A - 'For Rolf'
There goes a tenner
  (no discernible differences)
Ne t'enfuis pas
  Original has sleeve and label in French, TSF in English
--
    Another Fine Product from <mcvax!ukc!icdoc!bilpin!jim> <jim@bilpin.uucp>
			   $JimG : Hatfield, England