Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Deja-vu

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: 24-MAR-1990 16:56:24.37
Subject: Deja-vu

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 24 Mar 90 16:55:58 GMT

Greetings...

Two weeks ago I took off for Spring Break, and stopped at a friend's house for
the weekend before going home to sunny Florida.  We went to rent some videos,
and after coming upon _Diva_ I checked out the Music section, just for the hell
of it, I mean, who knows?  _The Whole Story_ might be there!  And it was.  I
freaked, rented it, and made my friend drive home- FAST.

I can't believe I hadn't seen it before.  The videos are great, and after
seeing "Wuthering Heights" I now have a new respect for the original vocals.
But the one that blew me away was "Sat In Your Lap".  As I watched it, after
about ten seconds the memory hit me like a train: I'd seen this before!!!

It was April vacation 1982, and I was in the 7th grade.  I was in New Haven
visiting my sister, who at the time had MTV, and I spent most of the week glued
to it looking for Duran Duran videos (I was a teenie-bopper, so shoot me, it
only lasted about 6 months).  Anyway, lat one night I turned it on to see what
was playing before I went to bed, and I saw a beautiful woman wearing a dunce
cap, surrounded by people who looked like Klansmen, dancing around on roller
skates.  Then the image changed to the woman sitting on the floor moving her
head to the strange, almost hypnotic beat, surrounded by court-jester type
people.  She was singing in an almost shrieking voice, and it was the most
deeply weird thing I'd ever seen.  My sister took one look and shut it off, so
I never got to see who the perpetrator was.  I had strange dreams for the rest
of the week, and when I got back to school I asked people if they'd seen such a
strange video, but no one had.

So, Ed, I guess my answer to your poll was wrong.  THAT was my first exposure
to Kate Bush, and it gave me nightmares!  And to think that selfsame song would
later provide me with my Senior Quote in my high-school yearbook...

Sometimes I really freak myself out.

|Meredith Tarr      	       	"Looking for a moment that'll never happen    |
|mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu        Living in the gap between past and future"   |
|Wesleyan University                                                -KT       |