Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What _shall_ we do?

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 14:46:52 EST
Subject: Re: What _shall_ we do?
Sender: nessus@gaffa.MIT.EDU

> HEY!! WHAT'S GOING ON??
> Gaffa's about ready to die here and there's been no talk at all???

Hey, chill out, dude-ette!  There's no need to worry.  There are a
couple of volunteers to run the list -- I have to put together some
instructions on how to run the list for the person who will run it.

> Doug, these people should know that rec.music.gaffa CAN continue.
> All they have to do is POST instead of MAIL.

That's not true.  Through the miracles of modern technology,
everything you post ends up in my mailbox, where upon I post it for
you while simultaneously routing it to the mailing list.  If you just
post intead of mailing, the same thing will happen -- it will just sit
in my mailbox, after going through several extra layers of software
that mailing doesn't involve and that usually bash and mash the
message.

Furthermore, at least half of the serious contributors to Love-Hounds
only receive the digest and do not have access to UseNet.
Furthermore, it's the gatewaying between the mailing list and newsgroup
that is the hardest thing to maintain, and if I was going to cancell
one of them, it would be the newsgroup -- not the mailing list.

> We need a mailing list of those who only get the Digest so we can
> work out a buddy system to keep them up-to-date (and post for them).

I HAVE a mailing list of people who only get the digest!  That's what
I've been asking a volunteer to maintain.  A buddy system won't work
-- there are 139 addresses on the mailing list.  It needs one person
to take responsibility for the the whole thing.

|>oug

T is for TIM at whom Sue did retaliate