Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist-Celtic(ish)

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 90 02:49:36 EST
Subject: Vickie's playlist-Celtic(ish)

Hello! God I hate great competition! I had to compete with Michelle Shocked
on Austin City Limits and The Pogues on Saturday Night Live. Yikes! I set
my VCR for Michelle but I'll have to wait for the repeat to get The Pogues.
Plus the fact that it was St. Patrick's Day, I probably only had 10 people
listening :-( I really don't understand what's with St. Patrick's Day. It
seems as if half the population of the US uses it as an excuse to go out
and get drunk and act stupid and pose a menace to the rest of us! Hey, I'm
part Irish (really, I know everybody says that on St. Patrick's Day, but I
really am!) and I don't feel obligated to get drunk. It's all so silly. Hey
Declan, what do they do in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day? Do you all wear
green? I'm proud to say that I didn't wear a speck of green Saturday!
Obviously, I'm not a purist so that's reflected in the show. I had a TON
of Irish stuff but decided to focus on a few major things and throw in other
artists here & there. It was a Celtic-ish kinda show though.
Album list to follow playlist.

                       Suspended in Gaffa #106
                        (St. Patrick's Day)
                        Playlist for 3-17-90

        *Artist*                          *Song*

1.  Marianne Faithful                     Ireland
2.  Macalla                               Rileanna: O'Dowds/The Ilnion Reel
3.  Pogues w/Cait O'Riordan               Battle Of Brisbane
4.  Boiled In Lead w/Jane Dauphin         Fisher's Hornpipe
5.  Sandy Denny                           Quiet Joys Of Brotherhood
6.  Kate Bush                             My Lagen Love
7.  Macalla                               Mna na h'Eireann
8.  Enya                                  The Sun In The Stream
9.  Celtic Thunder                        When New York Was Irish
10. Clannad                               Two Sisters
11. blackgirls                            moonflower
12. Steeleye Span                         The Weaver And The Factory Maid
13. Maddy Prior                           Gutter Cheese
14. Silly Sisters (Maddy & June Tabor)    Almost Every Circumstance
15. Kate Bush                             Night Of The Swallow
16. Macalla                               Poirt: An Seanduine Doite
17. Kirsty MacColl                        No Victims (Guitar Heroes Mix)
18. Pogues/Kirsty MacColl                 Fairytale Of New York
19. Pogues w/Cait O'Riordan               Wind Cats Of Kilkenny
20. Pogues w/Cait O'Riordan (on vocals)   I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day
21. Boiled In Lead w/Jane Dauphin         Tom & Jerry/Nine Points of Roguery
22. Boiled In Lead w/Jane Dauphin         Two Corbies
23. Boiled In Lead w/Jane Dauphin         As I Roved Out
24. Boiled In Lead w/Laura MacKenzie      Preacher On A Pony
25. Boiled In Lead w/Laura MacKenzie      Dilley Delaney's/Cherish The Ladies
26. Laura MacKenzie                       Johnny Doherty's etc.
27. Macalla                               Bhi Mise La
28. Sylvia Woods                          Gyspy Mirage
29. Kate Bush                             The Handsome Cabin Boy
30. Siobhan McKenna - excerpt from "Molly Bloom's Soliloquy" (last 4 minutes)
31. Kate Bush                             The Sensual World

                -------------------------------------
                          Album list

1.  A Child's Adventure                   2.  Mna na h'Eireann
3.  Red Roses For Me                      4.  Boiled In Lead
5.  Sandy                                 6.  Cloudbusting 12"
7.  Mna na h'Eireann                      8.  Enya ("The Celts" soundtrack)
9.  The Light Of Other Days               10. Dulaman
11. procedure                             12. Parcel Of Rogues
13. Maddy (?)                             14. No More To The Dance
15. The Dreaming                          16. Mna na h'Eireann
17. Innocence 12"                         18. If I Should Fall From Grace...
19. Rum, Sodomy & The Lash                20. Rum, Sodomy & The Lash
21. Boiled In Lead                        22. Boiled In Lead
23. Boiled In Lead                        24. Hotheads
25. From The Ladle To The Grave           26. Cherish The Ladies
27. Mna na h'Eireann                      28. The Harp Of Brandiswhiere
29. Hounds Of Love 12"                    30. tape from a friend
31. The Sensual World

                -------------------------------------
Macalla is a group of 23 women from Ireland. That's all I know because a
friend sent me a tape and he doesn't know anything else about them either.
It's very excellent Irish music, both vocally and instrumentally. I'm not
sure about the title of the album because the "M" in Mna could be an "N".
It's hard to read.

It's groups such as The Pogues and Boiled In Lead that make me wish
sometimes that I hadn't chosen a "women only" format. At least I can
play some of their stuff because of the songs where they've used female
musicians. Cait was The Pogues' bass player on their first two albums.
She left the band to marry Elvis Costello. Where is she now? Home cooking
for Elvis? Pshaw!

Jane Dauphin was Boiled In Lead's guitar player for their first two
albums.  I LOVE this group and if you ever get to see them live, don't
pass it up. Their blend of World Beat/Ethnic/Celtic Rock is great on
record, but twice as good live. The band is from Minneapolis and the
bass player, Drew Miller, has a show on Minneapolis' Community station
(I forget the call letters). The whole band, but Drew especially, likes
Kate and the last time they played here Drew told me that they were in
London for Trio Bulgarka's show. They went backstage after the show and
were amazed when they saw Kate walk by! I don't think he talked to her
but I do believe he was thrilled to see her in person.
I think they're on tour now so keep an eye out!

% Vickie of  Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com  %
%              "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                       %
%                 Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                           %
%    Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz       %