Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tiefer...

From: Jimmy Liberato <think!ames!amdahl!drivax!liberato@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 22:54:52 PST
Subject: Re: Tiefer...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU writes:

>   During the 1985 Int'l. KT Convention the phrase came up in conversation with
>Kate's brothers Paddy and John Carder Bush, who confirmed that the words
>were: "Tiefer, tiefer...Irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht."
>And the only translation possible for that phrase is:
> "Deeper, deeper...Somewhere in the depth (or deep) there is a light."
>
>-- Andrew Marvick

I never paid attention to this phrase before but now that I have a clear
CD version I spent some time listening to this.  I am not disputing
anyone's translation of the original German nor even the original itself.

My question is does anyone actually HEAR the "...Irgendwo in der Tiefe" part?
I hear something completely different.  I would like to know if
others do indeed hear this or are merely repeating what is generally
accepted due to the strength of the above sources.

The feedback I get will determine whether I invest in a new pair of
headphones. :-)

Oh, what I get is something like "Leuchten vorn Nachttiefe" but this
is probably not even a legitimate phrase!  I only have a dictionary and
have long forgotten my high school German.

If anyone does have a comment I would appreciate it be via email.  I can
see how this could turn into a very uninteresting thread.  I will tally
any results.  Remember, I'm asking what you actually hear... phonetically.

Thanks.

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato