Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist #

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 03:39:38 EST
Subject: Vickie's playlist #

Vickie here.  Just a mish-mash show.  I was going to celebrate my
2-year anniversary by repeating my very first show but I decided
not to just because there were things I wanted to play now, that
I wouldn't have had a chance to play for a few weeks, due to other
specials coming up. Specific & random notes follow this playlist.
As with every show, some of you are responsible for some of these
selections.

                         Suspended In Gaffa #105
                          Playlist for 3-10-90

     *Artist*               *Album*                 *Song*

blackgirls (1)             procedure             the thing is
    "                         "                  translator
    "                         "                  a visit to the behaviorist
    "                         "                  bathtub
Colourbox/Lorita Grahame   Colourbox             Arena
Chris & Cosey (happy jsd?) Take Five 12"         Send The Magick Down
Toyah                      Prostitute            Falling To Earth
Dave & Barbara (2)         Up From The Dark      As Far As Dreams Can Go
Etta James                 At Last!              Sunday Kind Of Love
Jacqui Brooks              ?                     The Cold Light Of Day
Christine Lavin            Attainable Love       Victim/Volunteer
Impossibly III             Impossibly III        Android Lover Pt. 1 & 2
Ordinaires  (3)            One                   Dance Of The Coco Crispies
Laurie Anderson            Strange Angels        Monkey's Paw
Gernika                    Yen Memorial Album    Maronie Dokuhon
Kate Bush                  The Sensual World     Rocket's Tail
Concrete Blonde            Concrete Blonde       True
The Sundays                Reading...            My Finest Hour
Virginia Astley            Tender 12"            Tender (extended)
Anna Domino                Colouring... 12"      Luck
Ellen McIlwaine            Honkey Tonk Angel     Pinebo (My Story)
The Cranes                 ?                     Fuse
Tiny Lights                Hazel's Wreath        Wickerman's Dog
Patsy Cline                Stop Look & Listen    Stop Look & Listen
Kirsty MacColl             Kite                  Tread Lightly
Nanci Griffith             Poet In My Window     Wheels
Penelope Houston           Birdboys              Harry Dean
Hetch Hetchy               Make Djibouti EP      Urgent

Specific notes:
(1) blackgirls are GREAT! A very strange group and I'll say right here
    & now that not every one will like them. They're very odd. btw, no
    titles on the album are capitalized. The group is mainly three women:
    Eugenia Lee, who plays guitar and sings, Dana Kletter-piano & vocals,
    and Hollis Brown, who plays excellent haunting violin. They wrote all
    the music. The album was produced by Joe Boyd (Trio Bulgarka) and was
    recorded in North Carolina.
    blackgirls' music is VERY hard to describe. Influences range from Irish
    to Classical to Punk! The lead singer's voice will be irritating to some,
    bliss to others. She seems to sing off-key a lot of the time, but (IMHO)
    it creates a mood that perfectly compliments the music. What mood? I
    don't know. Eerie, moody, ethereal with an edge. There isn't even anyone
    I can compare them to because they're not like anyone else I can even
    begin to think of. Hugo Largo is the only thing that's close.
    Not much help, am I? These people are ORIGINAL! Great lyrics too.
    They're on Mammoth Records (5W Hargett St. Raleigh, N.C. 27601)
    Ah, woj to the rescue! This is stolen from him:

Back in 1987, North Carolina's blackgirls released a five song EP which,
aside from colege-radio airplay, went unnoticed. A shame, because the songs
were very good in a serene and unassuming sort of way. _Procedure_ is very
good too, except that this time all 12 songs don't always sooth. At times,
they're unnerving. The songs are well-crafted and run the gambit between
beauty, intensity, and ... erratic disturbance. It's about time a mini-
malistic band surfaced who can utilize the violin in such a versatile,
non-pretentious way; sometimes invoking beautiful charm, other times
causing agitation. Combine this with competent piano and guitar hooks,
intelligent (often disturbing) lyrics, and beautiful harmonies -- and you've
got the blackgirls. Every once in a while you'll be reminded of KaTe
Bush's style of Celtic-folk balladry, or The Raincoats' potent atonality.
For a band that's been kicking since '85/'86, amidst the generic
songwritings of a thousand garage/art-rock outfits, the blackgirls have
found a niche.
The trio's music feeds the head, the heart and the soul. Good stuff.
                                          ROCKPOOL REVIEW (thanks woj!)

(2) Make that: Dave "NOT the same one who's in Eurythmics" Stewart and
    Barbara Gaskin. He of groups such as Hatfield & the North.

(3) We went to see the Ordinaires Monday the 5th. EXCELLENT!! At first, the
    audience were baffled (WHAT the HELL is THIS?) but by the end almost
    everyone was standing and cheering. It honestly is the only concert
    I've ever been to where people kept clapping and wanting more after
    the lights and house music came up. Larry's right, they are very, very
    friendly and interested in what people have to say. They were glad to
    hear that they do get airplay in Kansas City (via me!) and were very
    interested when I told them about the Internet and the buzz they'd
    been causing on rec.music.misc. I mainly talked to the female guitar
    player, Angela Babin. I guess they're headed back to New York but
    if you haven't seen them live, don't miss it the next time they're
    out on the road. If the thought of "Kronos Quartet meets Eugene
    Chadbourne meets 3 Muspaphas 3 meets Led Zeppelin" intrigues you....

Random notes:

Thanks IED for Jacqui Brooks!
Thanks Michael Branch for The Cranes!
Thanks Bob Lindsay for the Virginia Astley!
The full title of The Sunday's album is "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic"
The Anna Domino 12" is "Colouring in the Edge & the Outline"

WHAT ARE HETCH HETCHY UP TO??? I heard months ago that they had a new
album out but I haven't seen it anywhere. FYI-the group is headed by
Michael Stipe's sister Lynda and he produced it. I LOVE this EP!
Does anyone know what's going on with them? I'm still bummed out because
no one told me that they were here in KC in 1988, opening for Downey Mildew.

% Vickie of  Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com  %
%              "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                       %
%                 Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                           %
%    Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz       %