Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Irgendwo in den Tiefer...

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: 6-MAR-1990 23:13:53.08
Subject: Irgendwo in den Tiefer...

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 6 Mar 90 23:13:28 GMT

Greetings...

To end this whole German thing, I want the world to know that many people
(thanks to you all, by the way!) corrected my heinous rendering of the final
spoken text of "Hello Earth" (one of whom is a native German, so I'm going to
believe him).  As I told everyone who replied, if I had been positively
positive of the German in that song, I wouldn't have posted my question in the
first place.  So, to set the record straight:

The text is definitely "Tiefer, Tiefer, irgendwo in den Tiefer gibt es ein
Licht."  It's not a question, but a statement- although the word order could go
either way, in the context of the entire _Ninth Wave_ a statement makes more
sense.

I guess KT does speak French rather than German, but I think it's neat that
she's chosen to put some phrases auf deutsch in her songs.  That particular
phrase, at the end of the _Ninth Wave_, is especially powerful: "The depths,the
depths, somewhere in the depths there is a light."

Never mind the language- the woman can write!!!

Meredith Tarr      		"Looking for a moment that'll never happen
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu         Living in the gap between past and future"
Wesleyan University                                                 -KT