Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Boss Tweed <root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: 5 Mar 90 19:23:42 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: hmm..sure sounds wrong to me
Date: 5 Mar 90 19:23:41 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Vickie writes that she agrees with Susan, and I figgered it was time
to toss in my 2 bits (I've been trying not to...)

I heard the TWS version before I heard/got TKI, and thought it was a neat
song.  I then got TKI and fell in love with the song (I still don't have
a copy of TWS!).  At first it seemed like I only liked the TKI version
better because I was more familliar with it.  However, when I finally
read _Wuthering Heights_, I was able to truly say that the earlier version
captures Cathy the way I saw her in the book (although, of course, that was
influenced by the songs!).

In discussing the versions of the songs with friends, we finally decided
that I liked the TKI version because it captures the child-Cathy that
comes back at the beginning of the book, while my friends like the TWS
version because it's more ghostly--there's what sounds like a little
extra re-verb on KaTe's voice that makes it haunting/ghostly...and it's
obviously much older Cathy being portrayed...

Just a few thoughts....

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "On the outskirts of nowhere           |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  on the ringroad to somewhere,         |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  on the verge of indecision..." --Fish |