Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Imports and Copyrights (Where you should look for info)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 4 Mar 90 08:33:29 GMT
Subject: Imports and Copyrights (Where you should look for info)
Newsgroups: rec.music.cd, rec.music.misc, rec.music.newage, rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

I have noticed quite a few people want to know where the "parallel
import law" is written. Here is the place to start:

United States Code Title 17- Copyrights

The chapters of particular interest are:

Section 101: Subject Matter and Scope of Copyright
Section 201: Copyright Ownership and Transfer
Section 301: Duration of Copyright
Section 601: Manufacturing Requirement and Importation

Essentially, what the code says is that you can import 1 copy of any
title you wish to use for your own personal use. There are various
exceptions for such things as Libraries & Religious Institutions.

You should be able to find the United States Code in any refrence
Library.

Please note, I am not a lawyer, I am just pointing the way for other
people who want to know where to look.
--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta