Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Some Kick-Inside annotations

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 13:45:18 EST
Subject: Some Kick-Inside annotations
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

From: Jorn Barger <barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>

> what's "stop the swing of the pendulum let us through"?

It refers to Kate wishing she could stop the passage of time, which
often destroys love.

> whenever I hear the line "I love the beauty of rare innocence" it
> always seems she originally must have wanted to say "rare incense"
> but it didn't scan...  anyone else share that feeling?

Not I.

> Kick Inside questions: [...] What's this about Zeus? and "the old
> mythology he'd read"?  What does the expression "well in touch"
> mean?

She's saying she'll be "well in touch" with Zeus because she'll be
dead.  In Greek mythology Zeus was the head-honcho of the gods.  I
doubt that most dead souls got to talk to Zeus, but the dying
character clearly has some hopes of grandeur.  Why does she bring up
this mythology?  Because when she was a child, she and her brother
would be read mythology while sitting on the bobbing knee of their
father (or grandfather, or whatever), and she's recalling that
childhood memory -- like Rosebud.  You get the idea.

|>oug

O is for OLIVIA who off the charts sailed