Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rolling Stone reviews, Sinead, and Kate

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: 28-FEB-1990 17:39:46.90
Subject: Rolling Stone reviews, Sinead, and Kate

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 28 Feb 90 17:38:58 GMT

Hello again...

I just got the latest Rolling Stone, and in it they review Sinead O'Connor's
new one, _I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got_.  They give it four and a half
stars, which is between Excellent and Classic.  I can't wait to pick it up,
because RS usually isn't kind to music like that.  Maybe Sinead does want to
break into dance pop, which would be a shame, but I'm going to wait to hear the
album before I pass judgement.

Speaking of Rolling Stone reviews, why the HELL didn't they review TSW?!?  Do
they think they're above that sort of intelligentia, or something?  Or did it
just come out at a bad time, and all the albums that came out the week of the
1980's retrospective got ignored, too?  Actually, I'm not giving up my fading
hopes yet, because this latest issue contains a review for Galaxie 500's _On
Fire_, which came out last December.

And finally, although I've already e-mailed my reply to Ed, the two songs that
simultaneously turned me into a Lovehound were "Running Up That Hill" and the
version of "Wuthering Heights" on _The Whole Story_.  After three years that
song still puts me into near-convulsions, as any of my dorm-mates will tell
you whenever I crank it up and introduce all of Wesleyan to Kate's incredible
voice. The original version doesn't do the same thing for me, although I still
like it, and it's the reason I bought TKI in the first place.

Incidentally, anybody else been able to figure out what she's saying at the end
of L&A?  First one wins a prize!!!

Meredith Tarr               "Living in the gap between past and future..."
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                                         -KT