Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

His Ninth Wave?

From: turney@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Jenn Turney)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 14:13:05 -0500
Subject: His Ninth Wave?

Julian comments on the use of "his" in the press release accompanying
_Hounds of Love_ in reference to the character in _The Ninth Wave_.
Curious that no one else has (yet).

All discussion I've seen in the group has been consistent in referring
to a female character for _The Ninth Wave_ and I'd be very surprised
if this turned out to be wrong.  I can point to published articles
that also refer to a female character but I don't seem to have one
(in my admittedly limited collection) in which Kate confirms this
herself.  I'm sure one must exist.  Anyone?

Meanwhile, other evidence for "she":

In "And Dream of Sheep":
	They'll not take me for a buoy
(I've always thought that was something of a double meaning)

In "Waking the Witch":
	She's a witch
	Damn you, woman!

In "Jig of Life":
	She said c'mon let me live girl
and the soliloquy:
	Can't you see where memories are kept bright
	Tripping on the water like a laughing girl
	Time in her eyes is spawning past light
	Run on the ocean and the woman unfurls

In "The Morning Fog":
	I'll tell my mother
	I'll tell my father
	I'll tell my loved one
	I'll tell my brothers
(Okay, maybe not as strong as the others)

Jenn
____
 ||	turney@svax.cs.cornell.edu
\||	Dept of Computer Science, Cornell University
Dux femina facti.
				-- Virgil