Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 18:25:00 BST
Subject: Various

According to Melody Maker the extra two tracks on the CD and 12"
of Love and Anger in the UK will be the incidental music from the
Comic Strip G.L.C. programme (Ken is also on all versions of the single).
I am sure some people have got hold of the single by now and will
post more details soon.

>From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
>Subject: Kate's Desert Island Videos
>Vickie here, I was digging around in our "Dresser Full'o'Kate" trying
>to find things obsure enough to have not been posted before and I
>came across this gem.
>I've seen every film on her list except Kagemusha. I haven't been able
>to find that one on video. I've been able to find quite a few others
>and they are excellent. (Has anyone else seen Dersu Uzala? One of my
>all-time favorite films.)

Kagemusha is superb - a great choice by Kate. You should try and see
it on the big screen if possible. Tremendous scenes of armies at battle
where you see little actual fighting but just before and after scenes
and the reactions of the watching generals. Very effective. Not that the
film is all about war there is a really moving story of how a humble
peasant becomes the double or shadow warrior (Kagemusha) for the war lord.
I don't know if it is on video but it has been on British TV.

Perhaps even better is Ran - Kurosawa's version of King Lear. Except
following the fortunes of three brothers. Highly recommended. I tried
to get this for our local film society but it was not being released
on 16mm. Again no info. about video, and it has not had a TV airing to date.

***  Newsflash: A colleague has just told me that he has heard that both
Kagemusha and Ran are now on video!  ***

Dersu Uzala - again a brilliant film. I have only seen this on TV but
hope to get to see it on the big screen sometime. Very different to
the others mentioned above but certainly vying with them for inclusion
in any top ten. Anyone know if Kurosawa is working on a new film. He
is getting old now and I wonder if his health is still holding up.
He is highly respected by leading American film makers and I think
Lucas and/or Coppola were executive producers on Kagemusha.

>Does anyone know anything about: Queen Latifah, Pigbag, Amazulu or Judy Nylon?

Well Amazulu are British and a mixed white/black all girl group who have
had a few minor hits in the British charts. I think they were formed
out of the remnants of another all girl group - the Belle Stars -
who were on the 2-tone label at the same time as Madness,
The Specials et al were big.

>GIFs
Excuse my ignorance - but could someone tell me what a GIF is? All those
images sound great but what do you do with them?

Did anyone see or hear how Kate did in the Brits awards (or BPI awards
or whatever they are called these days)? I saw the last 5 minutes on TV
and saw that Queen got the Dinosaur award that the Who got a year or two
back. I also read that Annie Lennox got best female vocalist so that
counts Kate out of that one - but did she pick up anything else.

>From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
>Subject: KATE on ABC's World News Tonight!!!
>Kate:
>"I was devastated! I think that anyone who hears it for the first
>time hears this incredibly powerful music."
> AND WHERE DID
>THEY GET THE RHYTHMS OF THE WORLD??? It's obviously been transferred
>to NTSC. AAAHHHHH!! Where did they get the interview???

Well Kate's words were not part of the RotW programme that was transmitted
on BBC TV. So who knows?

--
Neil Calton                            UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,        NSFNET: