Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist uh, this is long!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 02:53:28 EST
Subject: Vickie's playlist uh, this is long!

Vickie here. Thanks to all for the Queen Latifah/Amazulu/Pigbag &
Neneh Cherry information. I have a couple more questions I'll ask
at the end of this list. This was a fun/strange show to do. My
show is in an "alternative" music strip so anyone who tuned in
expecting a lot of alternative music got a shock. I know my
regular listeners stuck with me but new listeners might have tuned
out thinking that someone was subbing for the alternative programmer.
I'd like to think that at least a few new people kept listening.
No one called me so who knows?

                     Suspended In Gaffa 103
                      Black History Part 2
                      Playlist for 2-24-90

    *Artist*           *Album*              *Song*

Queen Latifah     All Hail The Queen    Ladies First
Shelly Thunder    Reggae Dance Hall     Small Horse Woman
Rose Murphy       Sing Again            Lindy Lou  (1955)
Tata Vega         Color Purple strk     The Dirty Dozens
Pointer Sisters   That's A Plenty       Fairytale (a country song! 1974)

Josephine Baker   Josephine Baker       Si J'etais Blanche  (193?)
Josephine Baker      "        "         Dis-Moi Josephine   (193?)
Grace Jones       Island Life           La Vie En Rose

Alberta Hunter    Young Alberta         Take That Thing Away  (1925)
Alberta Hunter    Classic Alberta       The Castle's Rockin'  (1940)
Alberta Hunter    The Glory Of          Ezekiel Saw The Wheel (1982)

Ma Rainey         Ma Rainey             Here Me Talking To You (1927)
Bessie Smith      Giants of Jazz        Jazzbo Brown From Memphis Town
Bessie Smith      The Collection        Do Your Duty        (I didn't write
Bessie Smith      Giants of Jazz        Trombone Cholly     down exact dates
Bessie Smith      Giants of Jazz        Lock And Key        on these)
Dinah Washington  Sings Bessie Smith    After You've Gone (1957)
Bessie Smith      Giants of Jazz          "     "      "

Kansas City Kitty/Thomas A. Dorsey      How Can You Have The Blues? (1930)
    (this is on the wonderful "Say Amen Somebody" soundtrack album)
Julia Lee         Tonight's The Night   Mama Don't Allow (1947)
Priscilla Bowman  An Original R&R Mama  Everything's Alright (1957)
Oleta Adams       Going On Record       Handle Me With Care (live 1983)

Ruby & Romantics  Our Day Will Come     Moonlight And Music (1963)
Natural Beauty    12"                   Nice Up Dancee
Nora Lee King    Women's Railroad Blues Cannon Ball (1942)
Sister Rosetta Tharpe  Gospel Train     ...There's Music In The Air (194?)

Victoria Spivey   Recorded Legacy...    I'll Never Fall In Love Again
  (not the song you think. This was written by Victoria's sister, another
   musician named Sweet Peas Spivey and recorded by Victoria in 1936)
Victoria Spivey   Victoria              So Long Buddy          (1962)
Victoria Spivey   Recorded Legacy       Dreaming Of You        (1936)
Victoria Spivey   Victoria              Buddy Tate             (1962)

 I called these last two shows "Black History Month" specials, though
I didn't stick strictly to history. The last two shows featured only black
artists (I say black because not all of them were "Afro-*Americans*")
and in my normal shows I tend not to play black artists very often.
Why? Because my main area of interest is "alternative/progressive"
and there are hardly *any* black women in those genres.
Why? I don't know. I think it's unfortunate. Neneh Cherry is just about
the only solo artist who comes anywhere near alternative/progressive
and that stems mainly from her background.
Leslie Langston, the bass player for Throwing Muses, is black. Great!!
But where are others? There's no reason in the world why black women
shouldn't get more involved with alternative music.
They could contribute so many wonderful ideas and influences. I just
get so bored with the "ballads & dance" genres that black women seem
to be stuck in. Jazz & Blues have always been open to black women
and there are many coming in through World Beat/Ethnic/African/Reggae.
There are no black women in Country that I can think of so at least
alternative isn't the worst offender.

Discussion anyone?? Milo? Prince?

I would play any of these artists on my show (and have) but
mainly as "alternative genre/era" add-ins.
When Victoria Williams first came out I thought she was black. Hooray!!!
When I saw her video and found out she was white I can't tell you how
disappointed I was!

To change the subject, I got the Queen Latifah album and it' good, though
I can only listen to it in small doses at a time. Nothing on the album
is as excellent as the song I played last week ("Smoke Dis One", from
Coldcut's What's That Noise LP/CD) so too bad! Why do rappers have to say
their names every 5 seconds? I was hoping she wouldn't do that but she
sure does. It's a great name and I understand wanting to be distinguished
from everybody else but jeeeze, why so often within one song? Every song
is like that. Queen Latifah this and Queen Latifah that. Enough already!

Re any "why didn't you play...?" I didn't get to a fraction of the
women I could have and would like to have played. They'll get worked into
future shows. I wanted to focus on certain artists and that meant cutting
a lot of other people out. :-(

I'm in *awe* of Bessie Smith and I don't even like the Blues! (very much)

So why isn't Victoria Spivey well-known? An amazing lady. Does anyone
know if she's still alive or if her record company (Spivey) is still in
business? These two records were loaned to me and I had to give them
back. I plan to go out looking for them myself. Can anyone come up with
a capsule history of her?

Does anyone know anything about Tata Vega? I've had this soundtrack for
ages but haven't seen her mentioned anywhere else. I forgot about this
song ("The Dirty Dozens") and had pulled the album out to play the "Sister"
song. I'll save that one for my Academy Awards movie show. Anyone know
when the Academy Awards are so I can plan? The thought of asking rec.movies
is just a bit daunting.

Finally, has anyone heard when Oleta Adams' album is coming out? I think
it's so great that she inspired Tears For Fears to change their style,
and, through them, got a record contract! She has an amazing voice and I
really hope the album helps get her a wider audience.

Tolerance awards to those who made it through this post!

Later...
% Vickie of  Vickie'n'Chris of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com  %
%              "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                       %
%    Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitars       %