Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kirsty MacColl & Amazulu

From: Steve Wallis <stevew%mushroom.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 14:46:23 GMT
Subject: Kirsty MacColl & Amazulu

Nice to see Colm Mulcahy's article on Kirsty MacColl.  I've quite liked her
since _A_New_England_ but her new stuff is really good.  May I add a little
more information...

She released another album imaginatively titled "Kirsty MacColl" in 1985.  It
consisted of ten tracks from "Desperate Character" plus three more (_Annie_,
_Roman_Gardens_ and _Berlin_).  A strange but interesting fact is that she
sings _There's_A_Guy_Down_The_Chip_Shop_Swears_He's_Elvis_ twice as fast on
the album than the single.

Vickie wanted to know about Amazulu.  They are basically a reggae band that
released cover versions of pop songs.  They have released (at least) 7
singles, none of which they wrote.  Most had reggae tracks on their B sides,
which I quite like (I'm not keen on reggae).

1. Excitable
2. Don't You Just Know It?
3. The Things The Lonely Do
4. Too Good To Be forgotten
5. Montego Bay
6. All Over The World
+ a track I can't remember but Billy Idol had a hit with it at the same time

They were all hits, except for 3 and 6.  _Too_Good_To_Be_Forgotten_ was their
biggest (number 2, I think).  They have now split up.

Their music seemed to have a certain energy (they were excitable :-).
Amazulu were clearly manufactured, but they did covers well, and even managed
to write some good songs themselves towards the end.

Steve.

   /    // \  //     |           Steve Wallis           |     \\  / \\    \
 / / /// / / / / /   | JANET: stevew@uk.ac.man.cs.r5    |   \ \ \ \ \ \\\ \ \
 \/ //\\/ //\\/ //   | Internet: stevew@r5.cs.man.ac.uk |   \\ \//\\ \//\\ \/
   //  \\//  \\//    | UUCP: ..ukc!man.cs.r5!stevew     |    \\//  \\//  \\