Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 10 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:49:59 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 10 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 10 of 19 (Thru Housemartins)

Gene Love Jezebel

     At one time, Gene Loves Jezebel, Love And Rockets, and the Cure was all
     I would listen to. This is the only band that survived. They generally
     got better with each album, with _Discover_ as the best, but _House of
     Dolls_ broke the trend. It's O.K., but nothing to get excited about. I'm
     hoping that the new one will be better.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu
Genesis

     One-time art-rockers turned into pop hit factory. Even so, their pop has
     a lot of taste behind it so that they don't have to look around to "the
     latest thing" to know what will work.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     The band has gone through 2 vocalists & two phases of music. To me,
     Gabriel sounds nothing like Collins. Music of today is simple pop (save
     1 or 2 songs). _Foxtrot_ is a "must have".
          - TRM900@PSUVM.PSU.edu

     they were good until Peter Gabriel left. Try "Foxtrot", "The Lamb Lies
     Down on Broadway".
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     You can't go wrong if you buy an album by Genesis from the 70s. Even the
     80s albums are very good, although I didn't like 'Invisible Touch' very
     much. In general the albums with Peter Gabriel were the best, especially
     'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. They are a great band to see live
     also. I would have loved to see a Gabriel era Genesis concert, but it
     was before my time.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     You mean Phil Collins?
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     _Duke_ and before Yay!!!! After _Abacab_ Nay!!!! _Abacab_ I kind of
     float between. At their best when Gabriel was singing. Their older stuff
     with Peter Gabriel is defintiely progressive rock. Great stuff. _Duke_
     is my all-time favorite album. Musically, that album is just excellent,
     and very well-crafted. Their later stuff (after _Abacab_) has become on
     the pop side, which I can do with out. Recommendations: _Selling England
     By The Pound_, _The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway_, _Duke_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     I like most of their old music. Lamb Les Down on Broadway is very good.
          - Marylynn Orzeckowski discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com

Giant

     An excellent debut album. Their lead singer is also their lead guitarist
     , a strange combination. Still, they look promising for the '90s.
          - Tom Gryn TAG2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

Gillian & Glover

     Deep Purple alumni, otherwise disapponting.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

David Gilmore

     Guitarist/writer for Pink Floyd. His playing seems out of date now.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU
     Is it Gilmour or Gilmore? Without a doubt, he is my favorite guitarist.
     He doesn't have the speed/technique that lots of steves have, but his
     music is 20 times better! Listen to anything by him, but he is at his
     best in the earlier PF stuff.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     He was Syd Barrett's guitar teacher.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Gist

     the moxham brothers (orinally of the young marble giants) write nice pop
     songs with intelligent use of instrumentation. check it out.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Philip Glass

     Looks a lot like Steve Reich,but is easily more boring.
          - Jon Kincaid dsrekjk@prism.gatech.edu

     One Two Three Four, One Two Three Four...
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     try "North Star", "The Photographer", "Einstein on the Beach". Some of
     his stuff gets boring.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Gary Glitter

     Another one of those people who hit it big in England and the US
     audience basically ignored for the most part. I was in England in the
     winter of '73 and heard the countdown of the year and he had a number of
     songs placing quite well there. I liked the music quite a lot at the
     time. I've heard he has tried a few comebacks since those days.
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

     Where would hockey games be without this guy?
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Wrinkley and knows it.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Go Betweens

     scotish pop with a desire to make fun of notions of pop.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Go Go's

     I like their first album the best. Good stuff, but downhill from there
     on out, winding up with the lead singer (cant remember her name) doing
     generic female pop.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     I still love 'em. Beauty and the Beat one of 10 favorite lps of 80s.
     What energy. I think I liked Belinda chubby. Love Jane Wiedlin in "Head
     over Heels" video. Bright and bouncy pop at its finest, with decent (ie
     thoughtful) lyrics (see Lust to Love). Jane Wiedlin's rush hour my
     favorite song of 88. Not too impressed with the Graces other than "Lay
     Down your Arms" however.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Way fun all female band born as a joke on the L.A. punk scene. Went on
     to fabulous debut album, then crashed and burned three albums later.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Whoopi Goldberg

     Singing?
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Jerry Goldsmith

     Composer of numerous soundtracks. Excellent composer. His style is very
     orchestral.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

Jerry Goodman

     incredible fast, raunchy electric violinist for the first Mahavishnu
     Orchestra ("Inner Mounting Flame", "Birds of Fire"). Also did some good
     progressive rock/"new age" albums on Albion.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Martin L Gore

     Lead singer of Depeche Mode, now has a solo effort out, entitled the
     "Counterfeit EP" which is not too bad. They're all covers of various
     tunes (not especially famous ones), so he didn't expend any songwriting
     effort on it. But it's soft and somewhat techy.
          - Kevin Martin sigma@pawl.rpi.edu

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five

     classic pre-rap. still funky but noting the coming change in black
     music.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Grandmaster Melle Mel

     His group the Furious Five wrote and performed "The Message", considered
     the first rap song with serious intent.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Al Green

     A girl in my high school worshipped Al Green. He did a ripoff version of
     "Take Me To the River."
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Sexy soul singer who doubles as ordained gospel artist.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Dick Gregory

     Singing?
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Started out as a comedian, turned into a political activist and weirdo
     nutritionist on some macrobiotic diet.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Vince Guaraldi Trio

     "Linus and Lucy" will live forever.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Nina Hagen

     Beverly Sills fights Popeye the Sailor for the control of one set of
     vocal cords! Extremely weird East German with an impressive set of pipes
     and not much taste. Very irritating.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     She looks real sexy and was a trendy new wave singer star for a little
     while. Her bass player was bald which was cool.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Paul Haig

     Ex lead singer and guitarist with Josef K. He's released a number of
     albums (most on the Belgian 'Crepuscule' label) which are what I suppose
     you would call guitar technopop. His 1985 single 'Heaven Help You Now'
     is a classic (although, for some reason which escapes me totally, it
     didn't even chart). His 1989 album 'Chain' was good, probably in my top
     two or three for the year.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Hall & Oates

     I prefer the Righteous Brothers.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Kings of blue-eyed soul, modern division. Good vocal control, even some
     adventurous songs here and there.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Teeny bopper pop music. I've never heard a song by them that I liked.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     They're a top40 sugar pop act but Darryl Hall did some neat stuff with
     Robert Fripp at one point, proving that he was cool. He sings on one
     song off Fripp's "Exposure" - they had actually recorded more but Hall's
     record company wouldn't let them release it and damage his teen idol
     image, so Fripp got Peter Hammill of Van der Graaf Generator to redo the
     vocals ("I Smile Like Chicago"). Hall then released "Sacred Songs" which
     also had some interesting stuff, i.e. a Frippertronics number.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Jan Hammer

     Jan Hammer ruled when he was in the Mahavishnu Orchestra and he invented
     the idea of playing a Minimoog Synthesizer in a horn section. He was a
     damn good jazz keyboard player. Eventually he got TV, sold out to do the
     Miami Vice soundtrack. now who knows? I hear that everyone in the
     original Mahavishnu Orchestra wanted to rejoin for a reunion....except
     Jan Hammer who was making too much money after selling out!
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Keyboard whiz known for collaborations with Jeff Beck, and providing
     soundtrack for TV's "Miami Vice". Not especially interesting as a
     musician.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Sort of defined a style for soundtrack music for a while. I do like his
     Vice stuff; too bad the soundtrack albums don't have more of it on them.
     ESCAPE FROM TELEVISION has some great driving music on it.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Yuppie rock.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Peter Hammill

     The God of weird vocals. His group Van der Graaf Generator was a cult
     favorite for many years, and he did lots of solo albums after that.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

The Hard-Ons

     Make no bones about it, this is a skater hardcore band (I distinguish
     this from hardcore, ie. "real" hardcore, which is nearly dead). Fast
     tempo, not much of substance to say, not as much of the feeling of power
     you might get from an older hardcore band, but still good.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Emmylou Harris

     She has a pretty but unusual voice. It's almost spectral. She writes
     some of her own stuff, but not very much. On "Bluebird", her latest
     album, she wrote one song and co-wrote another, leaving eight written
     entirely by other people. She's a good (if not prolific) writer, and the
     songs she chooses are usually very good. Of course, a friend of mine
     once remarked that she could sing the phonebook and make it sound good.
          - rmiller@sbcs.sunysb.edu

Simon Harris

     british samples & hip hop. lame compared to contemporary american
     offerings.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Debbie Harry

     Ex lead singer with Blondie. Solo stuff not as fun.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Good stuff with blondie. Listen to it.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Loved her in Blondie. Especially Parallel Lines.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     May be the only one who likes her album "Koo Koo". I think she's caught
     in a tough spot and no stations will play her.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     She looks real sexy, if you turn off the sound she looks great. I guess
     she sings OK too.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Cory Hart

     Canadian boy desperate to prove he can sing Can't Help Falling In Love
     worse than Bruce Springsteen. Catchy original stuff.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Proves anyone can be a star. (pure garbage)
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Grant Hart

     husker du drummer after the breakup. bob mould continued the fuzz guitar
     while grant chose to use more acoustic and synth. i like.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Dan Hartman

     Best white guy impersonated by a black man in a music video and film. (I
     Can Dream About You, from Streets Of Fire) Played with the Edgar Winter
     Group for a while.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Richie Havens

     acoustic guitar/singer, was there at Woodstock singing "Freedom."
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Self-taught folk singer/guitarist. Went on first at Woodstock when
     openers were caught in traffic. Very emotional performer lyrically,
     using the guitar in a percussive manner, strumming furiously.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Hawkwind

     lords of frightening acid rock - the "Sonic Ritual" ruled.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Justin Hayward

     How have his solo albums been? Only for a Moodies completist or what?
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

Justin Hayward & John Lodge

     _Blue Jays_ is probably the finest album of Moody Blues-style music ever
     made, even though only two of the Moodies appeared on it. I like it more
     than I like the "real" Moody Blues albums. Highly recommended.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Ofra Haza

     "Yemenite Songs" is one of the best albums of its kind. The orchestral
     arrangements are flawless and the woman sure knows how to sing. The
     lyrics are rather trivial, though (but who cares, they're in Arabic,
     Aramaic, and Hebrew !) I hope she doesn't become too Westernized in
     time.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     I dunno, I liked her better in "Pump Up The Volume" than on most of her
     "real" releases . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Heaven 17

     Ex-members of the Human League, never quite as successful. They needed
     a decent singer.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Michael Hedges

     One of the few acoustic guitarists in the New Age field who doesn't put
     me to sleep. Especially check out his _Live At The Double Planet_, where
     he treats us to his rendition of "All Around The Watchtower".
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Heino

     Hey, he's got Andy Warhol's hair, Roy Orbison's glasses, and Arnold
     Schwarzenegger's gap between his teeth. Sings like Arnold too, but he's
     been around since *forever* in Germany. Like Englebert Humperdinck, I
     guess. Way-camp!
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Jimi Hendrix

     Fantastic Guitarist: combine David Gilmour with Eddie Van Halen!
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     The greatest guitarist ever. Jimi *was* the guitar.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Very little needs to be said here; though I don't think he is the
     greatest guitarist ever from a technical point of view (Steve Vai, Eddie
     Van Halen, Steve Morse, etc. beat him on this, sorry). From an "emotion"
     point of view, perhaps. I'd still like to have seen him cut heads with
     Vai or Van Halen.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Nona Hendryx

     Heard a bit of her stuff in a "Sound Warehouse" it was good.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Herman's Hermits

     A big favourite of my wife. These were the songs we sang on the bus
     during school field trips and summer camp. Herman played in the area
     recently and his show was broadcast on local television, he's pretty
     much lost it.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Beatles knock-off with enough charm and luck to actually record a few
     respectable hits. Produced by Mickie Most, who later produced Jeff Beck.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Nick Heyward

     ex haircut 100 vocalist continues his syruppy smooth crooning over lush
     production. nice to make a girl by.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Hiroshima

     I liked _Go_ a lot.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Light jazz/pop stuff, kinda tasty too.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Hit House

     "Jack To The Sound..." was a good party 12".
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Alias Peter Slaghuis from DMC England. Average House Music.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     Dutch house artist (Peter Slaghuis - "Slaghuis" = "Hithouse"). Pretty
     good. Had hits with "Jack to the Sound of the Underground" (cf Fast
     Eddie) and "Move Your Feet to the Rhythm of the Beat". His basslines
     often imply the wrong chord for the tune which is typical of Dutch house
     music and somewhat endearing.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Michael Hoenig

     "Departures from the Northern Wasteland" was an excellent new age album.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Yet another ex-Tangerine Dream synth player. His first album, _Departure
     from the Northern Wasteland_, is one of the best TD-like albums I've
     heard. If you like Tangerine Dream in their mid-late-70s incarnation,
     you'll like this Hoenig album. I haven't heard his 2nd album, _Xcept
     One_, so I can't comment on it.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Allan Holdsworth

     He was the guitar player for Tony Williams' Lifetime after John
     McLaughlin left the band, that's how I first heard of him. He plays a
     mean guitar.
          - Chris Koenigsberg ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

Jools Holland

     What has he done outside of Squeeze?
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

Mic Holwin

     Synthesizer-laden New Age music, I believe. What I've heard of his
     _Starting to Remember_ album, I liked.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

John Lee Hooker

     Blues is great, but I don't know much about him in particular.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Last of the real-life bluesmen who learned the idiom first-hand. Gruff,
     no bullshit attitude. Idolized by all those brit bluesboys like Clapton,
     Richards, Mayall.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Peter Hope and Richard Kirk

     Is this Richard H. Kirk from Cabaret Voltaire?
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Lightnin' Hopkins

     A song by REM, found on "Document".
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

James Horner

     Composed many soundtracks. At the moment, I can only remember "Willow",
     but he has done better ones.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

Housemartins

     Sadly the boys from Hull have broken up.  I really like this band, but
     it's hard to describe music.  The band once used the term "garage
     gospel." Ex-Housemartin P.d.Heaton is now in the Beautiful South.
          - James Martin <martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA>

     Musical trainspotters.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     One of those bands whose every thing I've heard I love but I never
     picked anything up. "Happy Hour" is just too cool for words . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu
--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta