Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Starting The Annotated Lyrics

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 10:02:22 EST
Subject: Starting The Annotated Lyrics

No one seems to be chomping at the bit to get started on annotating
the lyrics so I guess I'll start...rolling the ball.

Here's my plan.  Later today I'll be posting a "Request For Annotations".
I figure it's best to begin at the beginning so I'll be starting with
"Moving" from "The Kick Inside".  The request will consist of a
request for information on the song (pretty much what you'll find
below) followed by the song's lyrics.

Then it will be your turn.  Send me everything you know about the
song.  Start with any background information and what the song is
about, then go through the song line by line and note any points of
interest in the lyrics including aspects of the song not covered in
the lyrics, odd background sounds, chants, etc.

Please quote the lines that your notes apply to and mention sources if
possible.  Note whether you're stating your opinion or something that
Kate has confirmed in an interview.  I'll try to include everything
and note whether an opinion seems to be generally accepted, popular or
or at least possible.  I reserve the right to leave out things that
seem totally off the mark.

You can Email this to me at the address below if you want to be friendly
to net.bandwidth.  If you want the world to see your contribution
before I chop it up and blend it in with everyone else's you can post
it here.

Once submissions seem to have dried up I'll collect all this
information into some neat format and post it for comments.  That will
be your chance to point out what's wrong and what's missing.  Once
we've discussed it and it has been revised to a point that most people
are satisfied with it I'll post the final version and someone can place
it in the archives.

This will probably be a slow process.  I'll be working on it in my
spare time so I'm not sure how long it will take.  Once we get a feel
for how well this will work (if at all) I hope that others will go
through the same process to collect notes for other songs.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          nrc@cbnews
                                          att!cbnews!nrc