Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: gaffa and reviews

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: 21-FEB-1990 18:09:56.41
Subject: Re: gaffa and reviews

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 21 Feb 90 18:09:27 GMT

Hello...

I've been trying to post things for three weeks now, and every single one has
bounced.  However, I'm not one to quit easily, so here we go again:

First, "gaffa", as far as I can tell within the context of the song "Suspended
In Gaffa", means a state of confusion or unawareness of what is going on .  At
least, that's what _I_ mean when I say I must be suspended in gaffa!!!

Second, that latest review of TSW really bites.  Too often reviewers, be they
record or book reviewers, let their personal biases and basic stupidity get in
the way of objectiveness.  The least that woman could've done was spell
"Rocket's TAIL" right.  That's just plain ignorance, and it convinced me to
take the review with a grain of salt. I'd be willing to put money on the fact
that the reviewer has never heard any of KT's earlier work, or if she has, she
hasn't listened to it all that closely.  She certainly hasn't listened to TSW
very closely.

Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?  This may be
a hackneyed question, but I'm relatively new to the nets here.  I've noticed
the German lines in "Coffee Homeground" (Es schmeckt WUNderbar!) and "Hello
Earth" (which, as far as I've been able to decipher in the past two and a half
years, are "Tiefer, Tiefer, wurde es (?!?) in den Tiefer, gibt es Euch nicht."
Those lines translate, respectively, to "It tastes WONderful!" and, assuming
I've heard correctly, "The depths, the depths- it would be (?!?) in the depths,
it gives you nothing."

I'm pretty unsure of that last one, obviously: can anyone help me out with
this?  As a lowly German major, these things tend to interest me.  And speaking
of interesting things, as a Medieval Studies major I also noticed that in those
little MTV interview clips (you know, the ones with that stupid Aura stuff), KT
is wearing a little Druid sickle pendant necklace.  Anybody else notice that?

Here's hoping this posting actually gets posted...

Meredith Tarr
Wesleyan University
"Living in the gap between past and future..."