Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 12 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:52:36 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 12 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 12 of 19 (Thru Led Zeppelin)

Eddie Jobson

     Great keyboardist and violin player; alas, those who've only heard his
     ~1985 release _Theme of Secrets_ on Private Music have never heard his
     awesome skills on the electric violin. He started out as Darryl Way's
     replacement in the art-rock band Curved Air, and played on their 4th
     album _Air Cut_. After that, he left and joined Roxy Music as Eno's
     replacement and stayed there until ~1976. Then he played in Frank
     Zappa's band for a while, and then was invited by Robert Fripp to join
     the new re-united King Crimson he was forming. Fripp backed out at the
     last minute, and the other musicians (Jobson, Wetton, and Bruford)
     joined up with Holdsworth to form UK. After the UK breakup, Jobson
     released a solo album, _The Green Album_, which I think contains some of
     his best violin and keyboard playing ever. Then around 1985 he released
     an all-Synclavier album _Theme of Secrets_, which was good, though his
     violin playing was sorely missed. As far as I know, he hasn't recorded
     anything since. Anybody know what he's doing these days??
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     One of the lesser-known art rockers of the 70s, who made his mark in a
     number of bands (Roxy Music, the fourth incarnation of Jethro Tull). his
     most notable contribution to art-rock was his synthesizer and violin
     contributions in UK; stunning. Equally stunning was a hard-to-find solo
     work called "The Green Album" which was instrumental art-rock; he then
     made a solo album for Private Music, which highlighted his recent foray
     into the Fairlight EMI keyboards. This all-instrumental album is NOT
     "New Age", and it will be interesting to see what Jobson puts together
     in the coming decade.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

Matt Johnson

     frontman for the the. this is one of the best records of the 8Ts:
     innovative use of found sounds and synth. kinda eno-esque.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Jomanda

     The sound of Garage Music from NYC.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Howard Jones

     Sensitive synth guy prone to inspirational ditties. Can get funky if
     called upon.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Wish I had some albums. I've liked what I've heard.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Jill Jones

     She takes to much songwriting credit on her first album, half of it at
     least shoulkd go to Prince.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

Tom Jones

     He is my least favorite singer.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     My mom liked his TV show, I liked "What's New Pussycat" even before I
     knew what it was about.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Josef K

     Cult Scottish indie group of the early eighties. Similar in some ways to
     the sound of Aztec Camera or Orange Juice. Malcolm Ross, their guitarist
     and violinist, went on to become a member of the aforementioned Orange
     Juice. Paul Haig, their lead vocalist, went on to a solo hit. More
     people have probably heard Propaganda's cover of their song 'Sorry For
     Laughing' than have actually heard Josef K themselves.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     early 8Ts scotch tongue-in-cheek pop band.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Journey

     A bad copy of bad Starship.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Don't know any of their pre-popular albums; however "Escape" &
     "Frontiers" are probably the two best AOR albums ever recorded. "Raised
     on Radio" is slightly less consistent but still excellent.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     their music is really good. It's a shame they Broke up.
          - Marylynn Orzeckowski discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com

     Yucch Yucch Yucch. I hate steve perrys voice. I hate journeys music. I
     hate bands who are popular with 12 year old girls.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Joy Division

     some feel that joy division holds a place in the annals as THE most
     important post-punk band. debatable, but essential nonetheless. go for
     _unknown pleasures_ and keep in mind that this band went on to become
     new order after ian killed mimself.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

     This is arguably the most influencial progressive band ever; many
     current progressive bands claim JD as their influence. JD gave rise to
     New Order when Ian Curtis hanged himself. I like JD for the range of
     their style and because their songs tend to mean a lot to me. I consider
     "Love Will Tear Us Apart" to be in the top five progressive songs,
     possibly #1. Ian Curtis, however, could not sing on key.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     With bands far more obscure than New Order on the list, Joy Division
     shouldn't have been overlooked. It is different from New Order, of
     course, with Ian Curtis' agonizing voice (you either like it, endure it,
     or hate it) and a much less dance oriented sound, although it had the
     elements, if not the rhythm and upbeat lyrics.
          - Kevin Martin sigma@pawl.rpi.edu

Judas Priest

     "Sad Wings of Destiny" is superb; as is "British Steel", "Screaming for
     Vengeance" and "Turbo". The rest range from average to terrible.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     I'm not a big Metal fan. But I do like these guys.
          - Marylynn Orzeckowski discg1!istda11@bpa.bell-atl.com

     One-time hard-rockers who slipped into the heavy metal stream.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

The Jungle Brothers

     Their "Can U feel it" is a masterpiece of 1987 house music. Recently
     they turned to hip house and it's very good.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     soul brothers of the band de la soul. pastiche hip hop & lovable rap.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Chaka Kahn

     Full-throated vocalist who started with Rufus and then established her
     own presence. By turns bluesy, funky, sexy, or wailing.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     I love them.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Mark Kammins

     Very interesting NYC producer. He decided to sample all musics from the
     world. The result is a strange and repetitive house music.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Nik Kershaw

     Engaging British popster. His "Wouldn't It Be Good" is universally
     liked, but for some reason he never really caught on in this country.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

Keyma

     The dub version of "Tell it" is good.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Killing Joke

     Has two VERY different styles; one (as evidenced by _Revelations_) is
     their older style and could be called "atonal hardcore"; the other one
     (for example _Brighter than a Thousand Suns_) has a different sound
     which is harder to name but which I'd say is definitely progressive. A
     little like the late era Joy Division and early Love and Rockets, but
     not much. Their songs have some good images (eg. "The magic of our
     science / Shines brighter than a thousand suns") but the words are
     usually impossible to understand.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

B.B. King

     Wrings heartache from his guitar "Lucille". Makes commercials for
     McDonalds.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

King Crimson

     Challenging art rock that spans three decades.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Classic progressive-rock/jazz band from the early 70s/early 80s. The
     member- ship changed on practically every album, except for Robert
     Fripp, who played guitar on all of them. Many of the finest musicians in
     the prog-rock world are ex-Crimsonites (Greg Lake, Ian McDonald, John
     Wetton, Bill Bruford, Adrian Belew).
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     They are a group of very skilled musicians. I even like their music.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

The Kinks

     Somestimes cerebral, sometimes loud, sometimes sappy, always fun-loving
     British Invasion outfit that fooled 'em all and lasted quite a while,
     though their output of late has been tame.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Kiss

     Corporate hard rock for brain-damaged teens.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Have you seen that magazine "Kiss Guitarists?" Need I say more? Ok:
     BLECCH!
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Kitaro

     Mainly "ambient". I hate ambient music.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Much too sleepy, I'm afraid. Some use as background noise.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     Soothing, new age artist. However, most of his songs are very repetitive
     and slow paced. IMHO, "Light of the Spirit" is the only album worth
     listening to.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Space-age Newage music. He did the soundtrack for a Japanese telly
     program "The Silk Road", this supposedly is his best album.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Klark Kent

     ex police guitar player goes solo. neato K-shaped album cover & 10"
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Mark Knopfler

     Great guitarist, okay songwriter.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Great soundtrack work, especially "Local Hero". One of the best guitar
     players in the world, too.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     One of the more literate of the "pop" stars. _Local Hero_ was good.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     possibly the world's greatest guitarist. Like his vocals too
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins

     I love the song they do together. I wish someone would start selling the
     video in Canada. Chet's CDs are nearly impossible to find here, I'm not
     sure if they sell out so fast or if the record stores just don't
     recognize a great roots artist. Probably the latter :-(
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Kodo

     If you mean Koto . . . "Dragon's Legend" is one of the best Eurodance
     tracks I've *ever* fucking heard, right up there in cool quotient with
     Yello's best stuff. Their other stuff I've only heard bits and pieces
     of. Too bad they don't really get out of Europe.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Kon Kan

     Techno pop using old songs. It has a beat and you can dance to it.
          - Chris Chavez ccmchris@pollux.ucdavis.edu

Leo Kottke

     "My Father's Face" was a welcome return to the inspired lunacy which
     originally attracted me to him in the 70's. Always a fine live
     performer.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

     I think I can dance.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Unique, self-taught guitarist with a whimsical streak to song titles.
     Hard to pin down stylistically. How about "baroque folk"?
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Kraftwerk

     A very strange band. I have two of their albums, and from my experience,
     you can either take them as humorous or serious, but not in-between, or
     you'll find it too silly.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Are they still around? 'Autobahn' must be my favourite album of theirs,
     but I like most of their material. Good, no nonsense, electronic music.
     No messing around with string synths or vocal effects, it's just 'beep
     beep bloop'.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Flash in the Old Pan.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     German, electronic band. Their early stuff was their best. Then they
     gradually got worse and worse, until they became what they are today.
     IMHO, "Autobahn" is their best.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Great electronic pop band, but before their time. They were creating
     music somewhat similar to New Order and Depeche Mode, but back in the
     70's. Don't be misled by this, I just mean they were one of the early
     groups that led up to the groups we hear today, not that they sound
     EXACTLY like them. They can be quite humorous at time. Recommendations:
     _Man Machine_, _Computerworld_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     Haven't done anything in ages. "Computer World" is the best album -
     "Tour De France" was a great single and is still played in niteklubs but
     it never had a corresponding album, unless "Techno Pop" really exists.
     It is mentioned on the spiel on the back of the "Computer World" CD but
     I have never seen it.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Might sound a bit out-dated now. Although they are quite unique.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     The original synth band. Four Germans who disdain any kind of
     non-electronic sounds, with results ranging from soothing to grating.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Very machine sounding -- synth pioners -- sequencer based -- didn't sell
     out and moved to USA like other german synth pioner groups I can think
     of. Tour De France -- European Single Hit (!) They do tend to bring
     their MANMACHINE tendensy a bit to far to my taste. Latest desent album:
     Don't remeber the title but it's something like: Music-Non-Stop Techno
     POP. One could possibly say that they are not instrumental, but they
     usually succeed in making their vocal 'unhuman'.
          - Geir Stenstud geirs@ifi.uio.no

Kraze

     Good house music.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Robby Krieger

     Doors guitarist.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Held the Doors together musically.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     I hate the doors.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Kronos Quartet

     Every album a gem. I even like the Bartok!
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     I haven't heard much, but would love to hear more of these people.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Joachim Kuhn

     German jazz/"new-age" pianist. I've only heard his work on the Private
     Music _Piano One_ sampler (which features him, Eric Watson, Ryiuchi
     Sakamoto, and Eddie Jobson), but what I've heard I liked.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

L-Trimm

     "Drop that bottom" is funny. But their rap is conventionnal.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     Uh . . . yeah.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Patti La Belle

     Soul diva fond of elaborate wigs. Graduated from the group La Belle.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Laibach

     silly poseur east europeans do beatles & rolling stones covers. they
     *almost* succeed in pulling off their proto-nazi front.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Landscape

     Early eighties British technopop group with a rather original sound. I
     don't know of any other group from this genre who made use of electric
     trombones and flutes. 'Einstein A-Go-Go' is their best known song, but
     doesn't strike me as particularly typical of their work.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Now we're talking. (UK) Electronic pop music from 1981. "European Man"
     never charted (in 1980), "Einstein A Go-Go" reached number 5 as a sort
     of novelty record, and "Norman Bates" got to number 40. One album -
     "From the Tearooms of Mars to the Hellholes of Uranus." Still stands up.
     The last three tracks on the album are cute electronic versions of a
     Tango, a Beguine and something else (maybe a Mambo). "And now live, from
     the Tearooms of Mars.. The Beguine!" Lightweight and fun.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

kd lang

     A fellow Albertan.
          - James Martin <martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA>

     Excuse me while I try not to barf.
          - Wingerde van FJ fjvwing@cs.vu.nl

     I tried to like "Angel With A Lariat" but eventually decided to file her
     as "fake country music" and then forget her.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

     Lower case avant-country without compromise yet with enough brains to
     dig up Patsy Cline's old producer for her traditional tribute
     "Shadowland".
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     That should be: kd lang! She no longer claims to be the reincarnation of
     Patsy Cline. A Canadian.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Who is this woman? Who granted her those godlike vocal powers? Yow! More
     interesting than even Kate Bush lately, in my estimation . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

David Lanz

David Lanz & Paul Speer

     I have a copy of their album "Desert Vision", Narada Equinox (1987).
     It's quite an interesting album. Lanz & Speer manage to create some
     wonderful "images" with their music. In my opinion "Eagle's Path",
     "Desert Rain", and "Tawtoma" are a few of the better tracks on "Desert
     Vision". Their other album "Natural Elements" (also Narada Equinox(?))
     is less musically interesting than "Desert Vision".
          - Simon Lea csc458@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

     _Desert Vision_ is great. If you have a friend who wants to listen to
     some new age music, this isn't a bad choice.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Laraaji
Latitude

     A pair of "New Age" type musicians on the "Life Style" label. They have
     two albums "Latitude", and "40 degrees North". The latter album is much
     better than their first release ("Latitude"). If you have ever heard
     EXchange's music, then the best way to describe Latitude would be a more
     "honest", less "synthetic", less "dense", and less "intense" EXchange.
          - Simon Lea csc458@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

Leadbelly

     Real Americana. Blues before it was anything near popular.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Led Zeppelin

     A truly great rock and roll band. They played good 'hard' rock which
     influenced much of today's heavy metal music. My favorite song of theirs
     is 'The Rain Song'.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Astonishingly popular and influential blues rock/hard rock outfit years
     after its demise. Songs held quasi-mystical themes good for smoking hash
     to. Played at every single party I went to in High School.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Great, what more can you say.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     IV is the worshipped album although I've always preferred the heavyish
     II and the relatively commercial "In Through The Out Door". "Houses of
     The Holy" and "Physical Graffiti" should only be attempted once you're
     into the band.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Some of their stuff I think is very good, but a lot of it just doesn't
     do anything for me. I still think "Stairway" is one of the best, if not
     THE best, classic rock songs.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     You know, if you program over all those tracks you hear on CLASSIC ROCK
     RADIO! ALL YOUR FAVORITES, OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL YOU PUKE!, there's
     some really good stuff on their albums.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu
--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu