Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 13 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 06:53:59 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 13 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 13 of 19 (Thru Monks Of Doom)

Alvin Lee

     Brit guitar slinger who reached apogee playing "Going Home" at
     Woodstock. Still powerful.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Okay hippie music.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Thomas Leer

     Half of Act, see above. Never heard any of his solo work.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Legendary Pink Dots

     almost lush synth-based songwriting with obscure 3rd person lyrics.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Legendary Stardust Cowboy

     Grungy.And it's Legendary not Lonesome.
          - Jon Kincaid dsrekjk@prism.gatech.edu

John Lennon

     "I don't believe in Beatles... I just believe in me" R.I.P.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     A heart-on-his-sleeve genius. The pied piper of his generation, whose
     compositions haven't aged a day since their release.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     He wrote some good music after the Beatles, but he suffered a lot from
     the loss of Paul McCartney as a co-songwriter. He was writing some real
     good music around the time of his murder.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Some really good stuff, some really bad stuff. Mostly good.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Liaz

     I love "house sensation".
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Little River Band

     Some is okay, especially Lady.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Living Colour

     "Vivid" ihas been one of my favourite albums for almost a year now.
     Great lyrics, great tunes, ARSE-kicking sound.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Good band, I like the guitarist of course. Should be required listening
     for socially (un)conscious people.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Savvy, upstart hard rock band that happens to be black. Too soon to say
     where they're headed, but "Cult of Personality" points to longevity.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     VERY impressive guitar work. "Cult of Personality" as an example --
     there is a lot of emotion, a lot of hard-driving feelings coming through
     that guitar. The songs beyond that are good in my opinion, too, but I
     have a feeling that they might disappear as quickly as they came.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

LL Cool J

     Stupid name.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     The best rapper before De La Soul.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

John Lodge

     _Natural Avenue_ is, as far as I know, the only solo album Lodge did.
     It's probably the second finest work done by solo members of the Moody
     Blues (right after Hayward&Lodge's _Blue Jays_). This one, too, sounds
     like the Moody Blues at their best.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

The Long Ryders

     I liked this band (Progressive, definitely), but it seemed to sink back
     into oblivion rather quickly. Their song "Gunslinger Man" was a good
     example of their work.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Lonesome Stardust Cowboy

     Isn't "Paralysed" supposed to be one of the worst songs ever? I never
     heard it though.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Long Fellow

     I love the Garage-like house theme "This is penis".
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Love and Rockets

     Their album _Express_ is, in my opinion, one of the top five progressive
     albums I've ever heard. "An American Dream" (my favorite) off of that
     album is very haunting; love those voices singing/chanting "ohhhhh!
     ohhhh!" in the background, and also the way it builds up one way and
     then suddenly shifts to something else. I think _Earth Sun Moon_ isn't
     as good, and I believe that the newest one (_Love and Rockets_) is
     terrible. I don't like "So Alive" for instance, because there's nothing
     going on in the music beyond the obvious, and it doesn't say anything.
     I think they sold out (in an interview, they even stated something to
     the effect that they were now trying to write music to get them on the
     charts -- tho don't flame me if I got the quote wrong).
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     This was one of my favorite bands arounfd the time of their _Express_
     album. _Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven_ was ok and _Earth Sun Moon_
     didn't impress me. The new album sounds a bit like _epress_ but is
     nowhere near as good.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

Loverboy

     Blecch: commericial rock.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Lyle Lovett

     Another great songwriter. He combines country with jazz, and his lyrics
     are really off the wall. All of his albums are excellent.
          - rmiller@sbcs.sunysb.edu

Lush

     \'lesh\ adj - 1. characterized by abundance; 2. sensuous; 3. a hot new
     band on the 4AD label, characterized by a sensuous layering of guitar,
     synthesizer and voice, and highly recommended in the form of their
     mini-LP "Scar".
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Ray Lynch

     _The Sky of Mind_ is excellent ambient music, mostly synthesizers and
     bells. Very nice to listen to.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Jeff Lynne

     From ELO?
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     He is a good producer. He wrote some excellent songs with ELO. He is
     highly underrated in my opinion.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Mr. ELO. Overly swift studio technocrat, also capable of gettin' down
     with the Wilburys.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     famed by Pop Musik. A good industrial band. I heard they have some new
     material.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

M.A.R.R.S.

     Pump Up The Volume, yup. that one. the songs made entirely of other
     peoples samples. a hint of the future.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Sarah MacLachlan

     Did she grow up loving Kate Bush? Who cares what she looks like, that
     girl can SING!
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Madness

     Mid 80's band. They were an interesting bunch of dudes.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     Our house: a bizzare yet happy little ditty. Nothing special.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Some absolutely great stuff by these guys.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     The only song I can name by them is 'Our House', which I like.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Ultrafun ska outfit. Not quite as jet-propelled as some of their peers,
     but that gives more time to appreciate witty lyrics. Had a designated
     dancer in the group.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Magma

     Ah yes, Magma, the progressive rock/jazz-fusion/Carl Orff-ripoff band
     from France. The singing by Christian and Stella Vander is excellent, as
     is the drumming, bass playing, and guitar work. Their best album is
     probably _Mekhanik Destruktiw Kommandoh_.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Miriam Makeba & Hugh Masakela

     Banished South African performers that were popularized by Harry
     Belafonte in the 50s and Paul Simon in the 80s.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     For my tastes, Makeba tended to do too much wimpy middle-aged Europop
     during her commercial exile to Europe; her 60's US work and her two new
     albums are folksier and more appealing. She deserves immense respect for
     introducing black South African music to the US around 1960.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

Henry Mancini

     Another great! Listen to his stuff.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Soundtrack god responsible for the themes to "Peter Gunn", "The Pink
     Panther" and countless others.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     The John "film soundtrack" Williams of the 50s and 60s. Baby Elephant
     Walk, Moon River and others were the bane of any youthful music student
     in the sixties. Jim Hensen and his Muppets got their start with an
     interpretation of his Mana-mana.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Manfredo Fest
Mannheim Steamroller

     One of the best mixing of old world and new world sounds that I have
     ever heard. I thought that YELLOWSTONE was a great album.
          - Chris Chavez ccmchris@pollux.ucdavis.edu

     Everybody's heard of these guys. Classically influenced music that is
     reminiscent of some of the better art-rock-classical-ripoff bands (e.g.
     Ekseption, Sky).
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Fresh Aire III is my favorite; I haven't liked too much of their work
     after Fresh Aire V.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Instrumental musig. Relaxing and pleasurable to listen to.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     New age before it was called it.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     One of my favorite groups. Extremely well-crafted and well-recorded
     music. Chip Davis really knows his stuff. Their style blends old and new
     music together. Fresh Aire I-IV have a Renaissance blend to them, while
     V and VI have a slightly more traditional sound. Their music is
     extremely expressive. Fantastic!!!!! Recommendations: _Fresh Aire III_,
     _Fresh Aire V_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

Michael Manring

     "Journey to the Center of Night" is another must-listen.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Zeke Manyika
     extrovert drummer for orange juice after the breakup. african influenced
     songs of unity.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Phil Manzanera

     Former guitarist for Roxy Music. Good stuff, both with Roxy and solo.
     Especially recommended: _801 Live_ with Manzenara, Brian Eno, and
     Francis Monkman (ex-Curved Air).
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Ziggie Marley And The Melody Makers

     A worthy heir to his father's musical contribution.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     He has the voice of his father, but not the talent, not the subtlety.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

Martini Ranch

     Hey! There's Ivan Ivan again, what the heck? "Hot Dog" on the Sire disc
     is lotsa fun, I don't know about the album but hey, Bill Paxon from
     Aliens is half the band, how stupid could it be?
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Umm...their album "Reach" was produced at Devo studios..I have to say
     that their choruses are good but the verses are completely uninspired.
     Sort of dance music, I guess.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Richard Marx

     Great voice, good background. Has anybody but me noticed that "Hold on
     to the Nights" and "Right Here Waiting" are in the same position on each
     of his albums, and they seem to be a statement and reply combination?
     'Course, it could be coincidence, but...
          - Tom Gryn TAG2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

Kathy Mattea

     A country singer, she has one of the best voices that I've EVER heard.
     Has a very pure sound.
          - Tom Gryn TAG2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

MC5

     The first punk band? Known for overly sweaty rock when compatriots were
     more or less tripping out slowly.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Meat Beat Manifesto

     white boys with samplers and funk sensibilities.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Meatloaf

     Slightly theatrical belter from the comedic fringe of rock.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Glen Medeiros

     Appalling. I once bought a Glen Medeiros single for a friend. I was so
     careful explaing that "it's not for me, it's for a friend" that the guy
     behind the counter probablyt didn't believe me. Now I know what it feels
     like to buy hardcore pornography...
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Megabyte

     I heard an album of theirs once. Sort of electronic. I don't remember it
     too well except that it was unremarkable and you could almost hear it
     speeding up when they got to the "good bits".
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Nice, up-tempo, TDish electronic music. Who are they?
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Melanie

     A very gifted folk singer songwriter that got labled a flower-child and
     could never live it down.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Winsome songstress of the hippie days. Delightful.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Men at Work

     A band from down under that had some good songs but did not get the
     airplay on their really good songs that they deserved.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Men Without Hats

     Good band with good music. It is too bad they did not hit it big.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     They get written off as one-hit wonders, but their stuff like POP GOES
     THE WORLD is pretty solid if you can get past the grundled vox.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu
     What a disappointment the Pop Goes the World album was. Some songs were
     easy listening. But how can I dislike a song with lyrics like "5,6,7,8
     and 9 everyone here is a friend of mine" and Moonbeam was nifty too.
     Tired of Safety dance by now but "I Like" from the same lp's good.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

Freddie Mercury

     All pomp and surface attitude. Love it! If he and David Lee Roth ever
     get into the same room the world will explode.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Incredible range!!!
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

Pat Metheny Group

     A group that my girlfriend and I both agree on. Could liste to them for
     hours.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

George Michael

     needs a shave.
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Pretender to Michael Jackson's throne. Might just make it.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Michelle Shocked

     One of the most promising new songwriters. Her three albums show
     enormous stylistic range, united only by consistent blues touches:
     "Campfire Tapes" is mostly acoustic folk, "Short Sharp Shocked" is
     country and rock and pop, and "Captain Swing" veers towards jazz and
     swing stylings. Don't call her "the new Dylan", it might jinx her!
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

The Mighty Lemon Drops

     These four Liverpudlians have a half-decent recipe for good albums --
     write simple but solid pop songs, then perform them with loud guitars,
     lots of enthusiasm, and a talented producer. Their latest album,
     "Laughter", is their best; although the songs are somtimes
     one-dimensional, they're very effective.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

Ministry

     More from Alain Jourgensoun (sp). This guy puts out more music in a year
     than most groups in their entire career. "Twitch" and "Cold Day" were
     industrial, but "With Sympathy" just dumped everything and went for the
     bland commercial sound. Now "The Land of Rape and Honey" and "The Mind
     is a Terrible Thing to Taste" bring that back, along with guitars and
     synths comparable to jet engines. And a dentist drill as a featured
     instrument.
          - Kevin Martin sigma@pawl.rpi.edu

     My absolute favorite industrial/techno/dance/punk/whatever band. Energy.
     Energy. Energy. Favorite album: "The Land of Rape and Honey" Somehow,
     "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" doesn't move me...
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

     My current faves. Early stuff was heavy electropop, they had an
     industrial dance phase (apparently) and now they make industrial thrash.
     Violent. Brilliant. It's pretty hard to get in Glasgow though. I would
     like to hear KMFDM as well..
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Minutemen

     until their drummer lost his life, the minutemen, along with husker du,
     were among the few voices of sanity & intelligence in alternative hard
     pop.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Missing Persons

     Early 80's punk. I miss them.
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     I have their album with 'Destination Unknown' on it. I like that song
     but not the rest of the album.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Okay, but went downhill. I like "Mental hopscotch" best of all. I also
     liked the good looking dale bozio.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

The Mission

     Gloom band from Liverpool.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Mission UK (in US)

     good stuff. not as good as the work when hussey was with the sisters of
     mercy, but still good.
          - joel metz mantis@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

Joni Mitchell

     Once she was personal and simple. Then she tried to get wider and
     deeper, with varying success. Some of the jazz-tinged efforts work, but
     she's basically out of her element.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Modern English

     The only thing I've heard of theirs is "Melt with You" (correct title?),
     I liked it. I wonder what ever happened to them.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Moev

     white boys with samplers and no funk sensibilites. a coupla good dance
     tunz: _crucify me_ & _open mind_.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Momus

     Airy vocals, sometimes a tad too "precious" but his latest album "Don't
     Stop The Night" is great. He writes about sex a whole lot, usually in
     really twisted ways. His lyrics are excellent and detailed.
          - Jon Drukman jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

     too witty for his own good. nicholas currie, the only member of this
     band parodies the current british top-of-the-pops musical style.
     fabulously talented at synth and acoustic sonwriting. new order-ish at
     times, prince-ish at times, bob dylan-ish at others. a must.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Thelonius Sphere Monk

     As far as I can tell -- don't know much about jazz -- he was pretty damn
     brilliant.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

The Monkees

     Actually fairly nice music to listen to. Better than you probably think.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     enough talent, and the right songwriters, to notch respectable hits.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Of all the bands that didn't write their own music (for the most part),
     they were the best. I commend some of their songwriters for some good
     songs. I hear that Mike Nesmith actually has some talent as a musician.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     One decent song + one TV show = ....
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     the flipside of this 7"er is their best song: _goin down_.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Monks Of Doom
     camper van beethoven members play.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu