Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: new Blue Nile outing - 'Hats'

From: "Craig M. Kanarick" <kanarick@BBN.COM>
Date: 20 Feb 90 19:44:41 GMT
Subject: Re: new Blue Nile outing - 'Hats'
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@BBN.COM

Well, I'll give out some quick bits about the new album by The Blue Nile,
called "Hats"...

The album is a little short (38 minutes or something around there, as I
recall).  There is a 3" CD-single which has two additional songs on
it, which, from what I have been told, are quite good (I have yet to
hear the tracks).

In a nutshell, Hats is a *lot* like their first album, A Walk Across
the Rooftops.  The main difference between the two is that during the
writing of the first, Paul Buchanan (songwriter) was in love (so most
of the songs have happy topics and talk about love), whereas during
this one, his woman left him, so he was pissed and depressed.  Ah love...

Anyway, other than the difference in lyrics, the songs are extremely
similar.  In fact, the group does not seem to have matured very mush,
musically, that is, in the past six years.  Buchanan keeps saying that
they are really concerned with the music, and that this six years was
required so that they could produce the type of music that they felt
they wanted to make (huh?), but to me that is a cop out.

If you are a true fan, you will want the album.

On a related note, they will be touring this "spring", most likely.
It is fairly reasonable to assume that they will go on the road with
Rickie Lee Jones, since she is a big fan, TBN played on Flying
Cowboys, and they all made a couple of videos together (including
Easter Parade and Flying Cowboys).

Well, that is about all I can say w/o the album in front of me. If
you want, I can post more info, or you can email me.  Now, I need
some sleep.

-- Craig

Craig M. Kanarick				"Do I love you?  Yes, I
kanarick@bbn.com				 love you.  All this talking,
		             			 talking, is only bravado..."
BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation	 - The Blue Nile