Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Books

From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 10:13 +1000
Subject: Re: Kate Books

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 19 Feb 90 10:13:45 +1000

Jorn Barger writes:

> are we agreed that
> "G" arrives refers to Gurdjieff as Ouspensky spoke of him in the book "In
> Search of the Miraculous"?

G refers to Dave Gilmour.  cf album cover.

> I think om mani padme hum is something like "hail the jewel in the lotus"?

This is probably one of the best known eastern (Zen?) chants.  What it
translates as I don't know, but it is usually used to concentrate the
mind and achieve inner peace or some such.

> "Beelzebub" is a name for the devil, also the hero of Gurjieff's hardest book.
> but why is he aching in her belly?

I think she just means she has butterflies.

> how unambiguously does this seem a song about masturbation?

Huh?

> anyone current enough on bronte to give a tight plot synopsis of w.h.?

Read the book.  It's worth it.  But the song refers to about 15 (?)
minutes at the end of the film, and so doesn't really gel with the
novel.

Jim

--
James Smith          | Each night father fills me with dread,
Computing Centre     | When he sits at the foot of my bed.