Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sensual videos

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 23:04:36 EST
Subject: Re: Sensual videos

Chris of Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) says:
>  I was thinking about why all three ("This Woman's Work" from the VH-1
> special included) are in letter-box. As near as I can tell they are in
> academy aspect ratio.
>   Generally music videos are shot on film and edited on video, but these
> three seem to have been edited on film as well. A couple of reasons for
> working this way occured to me. Maybe because film editing takes longer?:-)
> But another, more hopeful, reason could be that editing on film leaves open
> the possiblity of a future high definition release. Well shot film is better
> quality than any of the proposed high-def. systems and when high-def.
> equipment becomes available there will be a need for program material.

Personally, the reason I would go with is the cinematic effect that
letter-box has. Knowing KaTe to be a film freaK of sorts, I would
expect her to do most of her videos this way, since it fits her view
on these things (I think).

In any event, I much prefer letter-box myself, but have never used it
being only a video person myself...

woj