Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lindsay Kemp

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 90 12:05:59 EST
Subject: Re: Lindsay Kemp
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> From: Jorn Barger <barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>

> But later in the film, at the Mayday festival, he is supposed to take the
> role of the _Fool_....

> Which put me in mind of a certain song about a homosexual actor who
> they give a part to, but he has to play the fool...  (I have no idea
> if Kemp is gay, but I've read that his great theatrical success was
> in drag-- I forget the name of the play...) [...] Any hypotheses or
> refutations?

This is indeed quite interesting.  Lindsay Kemp is indeed gay.  Rumour
says that Kate had a crush on Lindsay Kemp and that "Moving" is a love
song to him.  (Lindsay only had eyes for David Bowie.)  Whether or not
Kate had Lindsay Kemp in mind when she wrote "Wow", I know not, but
this new piece of information about Lindsay Kemp playing the Fool,
sure seems like more than mere coincidence.

|>oug

"I is for ME lynched as a louse"