Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Riddle me this...

From: "Eric France,,," <franceee@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: 6 Feb 90 22:17:36 GMT
Subject: Re: Riddle me this...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

"Nick @ The End of Time" will probably get flamed for asking:
> Many moons ago, a friend of mine asked: "If _Kate_ got married, would she
> loose most of her fans?" We'd just seen the Hammersmith Show on TV, and my
> friend had noticed the proportion of males in the audience.
>
> This question was asked 10 years ago, but I've not been able to come to any
> satisfactory answer.
>
> Over to you!
>

> #include <std_disclaim.h>
>                "And the sandcastle virtues are all swept away..."

Neat quote.

Think I'll take a stab at this:
  I can't speak for the rest of the LH crowd (and I'm not sure I'd
want to if I could! ;), but what I like about KT is the effect her
music has on *me*, and this has (a lot) more to do with the quality of her
music than how she looks (or how unmarried she is).  So, I would
say that she could not lose me as a fan if she got married.  Now, if
the quality of her musical output were to plummet dangerously immediately
following her marriage (as Billy Joel's did, IMHO), then I may or may not
continue to purchase everything she records; however, this would have
no effect on the quality of the music she has already recorded.  It
would be a good test of the effect of the loyalty factor......

Eric France
franceee@clutx.clarkson.edu
                                                         __
"You never understood me, you never really tried...." -- |<