Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Odd Meters in Rock/Jazz (survey)

From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor)
Date: 6 Feb 90 15:40:12 GMT
Subject: Odd Meters in Rock/Jazz (survey)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.makers, rec.music.bluenote, rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.synth, rec.music.beatles, comp.music

                    -=> ROCK/JAZZ METER SURVEY <=-

While most rock and jazz tunes use common time (4/4), I'm compiling a
list of exceptions.  You'd think that genres like rock and jazz which
are (supposedly)  so  strongly influenced  by  African drumming would
display more variety in their meters.  I'm looking for songs that use
strange  time   signatures (even  3/4 seems  rare enough  to count as
strange in the rock genre!).  Obvious 'art rock' bands (Yes, Genesis,
King Crimson,  etc.)  appear  to  be the most likely  candidates  for
using odd times, but I'm sure there are more.

Listen closely to your favorite tunes - some are likely to  be written
in odd times! It's surprising how natural an odd time can sound - even
though I've been listening for this kind of thing for some  time, I've
often been hit by a sense of revelation when I realize  some song I've
been listening to is in some strange  time.  Even if  only part of the
tune is in an odd time (an oddly timed intro or bridge), send it in!

Put your submissions in the following format:

as shown in the following table. Here is my meager list to date (note:
all timings are derived from listening, not by perusing a score - they
may be inaccurate - corrections are welcome):

BAND            ALBUM                   SONG                    TIMING
--------------- ----------------------- ----------------------- --------------
?               ?                       Mission Impossible      5/4
Beatles         Magical Mystery Tour    All You Need is Love    7/8
Brubeck, Dave   Time Out                [all of 'em]            5/4, 9/8, 6/4
Bush, Kate      The Dreaming            Sat in your Lap         12/8, 8/8
Collins, Phil   Face Value              Droned                  9/8
Gabriel, Peter  PG I                    Solsbury Hill           7/8
Genesis         Selling England...      Cinema Show             7/8
Genesis         Lamb Lies Down...       Back in N.Y.C.          7/8
Genesis         Trick of a Tail         Dance On a Volcano      7/8
Genesis         Duke                    Turn It On              13/8
Jethro Tull     Living in the Past      Living in the Past      5/4
Kansas          Point of Know Return    Point of Know Return    7/8
Kansas          Point of Know Return    Paradox                 6/8, 8/8
Kansas          Point of Know Return    The Spider              15/8, and G*d
                                                                knows what
                                                                else...
King Crimson    Three of a Perfect Pair Three of a Perfect Pair 6/8, 7/8
Led Zeppelin    Houses of the Holy      Over the Hills...(intro) ? HELP PLEASE!
Rush            Moving Pictures         YYZ (intro)             10/4
Yes             The Yes Album           Perpetual Change        5/4, 6/4, 4/4
                                                                (perpetually
                                                                 changing!)

I'm sure that some of these bands have other  tracks  with wierd meter
and there must be  other  bands experimenting   in   offbeat   (groan)
meters...   [Let's not get  into a flame war w.r.t  what is and is not
'rock' or 'jazz'.  If you can find it in the 'rock' or  'jazz' section
of your favorite record store, it's eligible for this list (so I guess
'new age' counts, though I'd be _very_ surprised  if  you can find any
odd meters there :-))]

So dig into you record (CD?) collection and  help me compile the list.
PLEASE EMAIL  ALL  RESPONSES  TO  ME (tynor@prism.gatech.edu)  -  I've
cross-posted this note and  don't  follow all these groups  regularly;
I'LL SUMMARIZE TO THE NET. Thanks!

Try not to have a good time... This is supposed to be educational.

        Steve Tynor
        Artificial Intelligence Branch
        Georgia Tech Research Institute
        tynor@prism.gatech.edu