Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pirate TV (another entry!!!)

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Yo! Bum rush the show)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 10:02:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Pirate TV (another entry!!!)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9001252222.AA11310@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:
>Some people think the "Pirate TV" thing on MTV is just a promo stunt.  I think
>it's a genuine pirate: why would MTV want to interrupt its videos, when the
>reason they're on the air is to show them?  And couldn't the record companies
>sue them for doing it? MTV laughs at itself a lot, but they wouldn't screw
>around with the videos.

Man, there are none so deaf as those who will not listen.  It's a
STUNT.  The interruptions are OBVIOUSLY faked to anyone with even a
basic knowledge of how television works.  They use the MTV style font
for their lettering even!  There is an MTV special called "Pirate TV"
coming up in a few weeks according to the program guide.  Is this
getting through all ten inches of skull?

I hate to make such a tasteless analogy but how's this: the reason MTV
is interrupting their videos, their very raison d'etre as you so
rightly pointed out, is to lend the same aura of credibility to their
stunt that worked so well for Charles Stuart when he shot himself in
the stomach.  I personally could just NOT ACCEPT the fact that
ANYBODY, no matter how much he wanted people the believe him would
shoot himself in the stomach.  But he DID.  And I was WRONG.  As you
are, in this matter.

>What I can't understand is, why the country hasn't gone nuts over this.
>Captain Midnight appeared just once on HBO, and it was on the news for weeks.
>Are the MTV ratings really that sad?

Hello?  Is anybody in there?  Has it occured to you that the REASON
that nobody has gone nuts over this is because there is NOTHING to go
nuts OVER!  It is a GIMMICK!  And it's working like a charm because
this is the THIRD posting I've made on the subject...

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I can say with confidence I know a     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  fair bit about LSD."   -- Dan Rather   |