Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Reaching Out" to New Hampshire

From: cg-atla!dsmith@samsung.com (Dave Smith)
Date: 24 Jan 90 16:21:30 GMT
Subject: "Reaching Out" to New Hampshire
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Whilst watching some dismal sitcoms last night, I saw a promo for a
newscast about the declining educational system (and lack of funding for it)
in New Hampshire.  Sure, sure, what's this got to do with KT?

Well, the music that the promo announcer was speaking over was the
intro piano chords to "Reaching Out".  I'm quite certain that it was
the same recording and not some hacker playing the chords for the
station.

Anyhow, the show is to air today (Wed, 1-24) on Channel 9, Manchester
New Hampshire at 6:00pm (I think).  I doubt that I'll be able to watch
it, but it was interesting hearing the song used here.

Coincidentally, it happened about 5 minutes after I saw the ad for the
"runaway hotline" (or something like that) which uses KT's vocal portion
of "Don't Give Up".

I guess she's getting some serious subliminal promotions :-)

So, does this sort of usage of published musical recordings require
approval from KT's publishers?  Perhaps they thought, "Heck, no one's
gonna care much for 'Reaching Out' anyhow, let's toss it off to a Cow
Hampshire TV station for kicks." :-)  :-)  :-)