Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

(V here. This is my favorite CL album. EVERY SINGLE SONG IS GREAT!!
 The song Steve talked about is on this one. It's called Doris &
 Edwin-the Movie.)

Christine Lavin
Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind

First of all, if you are a Suzanne Vega listener, this album is an
absolute must for your collection...Christine's Mysterious Woman
adds new dimensions to the existential meanings of defrosting the
refrigerator! Title song accurately describes the delicious
experience of eating sushi (sucking down a bucketful of tentacled
slime; or, chewing the suction cups off the bottom of an old
bathtub mat) and other activities tolerated in the name of love.
Both satire and good folk music fill this album and even a duet
with Livingston Taylor.
(PH1121)

           Here are the lyrics to "Doris & Edwin-the Movie"

The first time that she saw him was in the office canteen
He was buying a cup of coffee (3 sugars & double cream)
Two weeks later she saw him by the elevator banks
His hands were full, she held the door for him
and he said "thanks"
Now she's in love (for her it don't take much)
She's in love but this is not your ordinary office crush
'cause she works in the basement, near the boiler room door
and he works in accounting on the 37th floor
Now I'm not much of a mathematician but even I can see
in a building of 37 floors and 4000 employees
her chances of running into him are really not too good
even though she hung out at the canteen
and rode the elevator every spare minute she could
Cause she's in love and she don't even know his name (it was Edwin)
she's in love. Love can be such a cruel, cruel game
cos she works in the basement near the boiler room door
and he works in accounting on the 37th floor
And by the way, did I happen to mention...
that when this building was consturcted it was done improperly
and one day on the 4th floor there was a short in the electricity
it burned up walls and desks and chairs and all the secretarys
The alarm did not go off until it reach floor 33
(floor 33, floor 33)
and on the upper floors people were running and screaming and
jumping out the windows to get away from the flames (it was gross)
Now the woman in the basement, she raced up the stairs, out the
emergency exit, into the fresh air. She looked up because just
then it began to shower and that's when she saw her true love
coming--one hundred miles an hour oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh no, no no no
(bloodcurdling scream in background)
I'm not much of a mathematician but even I can see
the chances of him landing on her were very slim indeed (but he did!)
So they buried him together the following day and even now,
when I ride the elevator I can hear someone say
"She was in love (for her it didn't take much). she was in love
but this was not your ordinary office CRUSH
cause she worked in the basement near the boiler room door
and he worked on accounting on the 37th floor
yeah she worked in the basement and he the 37th floor
but fate brought them together, parted nevermore
nevermore...........nevermore

      See, she has a very strange and wonderful sense of humor
      I've got more lyrics that I'll post later. Her albums
      really shouldn't be that hard to find. I've seen CDs
      at our local Sound Warehouse and other stores.
      I really like Shawn Colvin a lot but it hurts that she's
      gotten so much attention for her first album, yet Christine
      has been ignored for years. I don't mean that Christine
      is "better" than Shawn, it's just that she should have the
      recognizibility factor that Shawn has. Life's not fair.

       ----------------------------------

>On another topic, I've listened to Beautiful Pea Green Boat a lot more
>since I first wrote about them.  That album is so great I have been
>playing it over and over since I got it.  It's truly wonderful, in
>spite of the dumb name for the group.  They deserve wider distribution
>than small labels like C'est La Morte (U.S.) and Slaughterback (U.K.)
>can give them.  Or else enlightened labels that publish such great
>stuff deserve to be rewarded for it.
YOU BET!! C'est La Mort deserves to be rewarded for all they're
doing for music in America.

%   Vickie of         Vickie'n'Chris of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com  %
%                    "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                          %
%          Kansas City's alternative alternative to boyz with guitars          %