Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Totally Objective Rate-a-Record

From: Jorn Barger <barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 90 11:39:52 CST
Subject: Totally Objective Rate-a-Record

Back in November, someone in gaffa conducted a survey of how we all ranked TSW
relative to all Kate's other albums.  I don't remember where TSW finally
ended up but I think the other albums went: TD-9th Wave-TKI-HoL-NFE-LH...

I was pretty surprised to see Never For Ever so far down there, wondering if
I was forgiving it too much in consideration of Army Dreamers and All We Ever
Look For.  So I finally sat down this weekend with all 6 CD's in the changer
set to "Random", on the theory that the unfamiliar play-order would help
bring some objectivity to the investigation...

What I ended up doing, flame if you must, was rating every song to see how
each album fared.  The results:

#1-- The Dreaming
A+++: Pull Out the Pin, Night of the Swallow, Get Out of My House
A++:  Sat in Your Lap, Suspended in Gaffa, Leave It Open, Houdini
A+:   There Goes a Tenner, The Dreaming, All the Love

#2-- Never For Ever
A+++: All We Ever Look For, Army Dreamer
A+:   Babooshka, Delius, Blow Away, Infant Kiss, Night Scented Stock, Breathing
A:    Egypt, Violin
A-:   Wedding List

#3-- Hounds of Love
A++: Mother, Under Ice, Waking the Witch
A+:  Running Up That Hill
A:   Big Sky, Dream of Sheep, Jig of Life
A-:  Hounds of Love, Cloudbusting, Morning Fog

#4-- The Kick Inside
A++: Them Heavy People
A+:  Saxophone Song, Wuthering Heights, The Kick Inside